Saddle Problems

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
edited August 2014 in Road general
Hi, apologies for the unsavoury post. I'm having a few problems with saddle sores. I recently got back into regular 40 to 60km spins 3 times per week. I'm a big lads and have a very well padded ass. I am getting boils or blisters deep in the tissue where my leg meets my undercarriage. I have one or two on each side.
I did up my mileage considerably over two weeks so I'm wondering if this caused it.
Btw, I have decent Santini shorts, originally had a Fizik Aliante saddle but I have moved back to my Spesh Romin 155.
I'm wondering if I should drop to front of my saddle?
Would a bike fit address something like this?

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Get a bike fit I just had my saddle dropped on mine by 40 mm and it stopped my saddle sore instantly. Well worth the money.

Where are you based ? I went to Colin Gardener in Preston and he was ace
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Are you wearing anything under your bibs?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Donie75
    Donie75 Posts: 92
    Not wearing anything under my shorts, just Assos chamois cream. I was using a cheaper one but upgraded when I startd having trouble.
    I'll look into a bikefit. I'm in Ireland.
    Thanks!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    To treat boils try tea tree oil and drawing ointment (magnesium sulphate paste). After 40 years of no problems, I have been suffering for the last few months, having done one course of antibiotics (flucloxacillin) am now off the bike feeling increasingly depressed. Good luck!
  • surfgod
    surfgod Posts: 97
    I use exactly the same set up as you- specialized romin 155 and assos F1 Uno bib shorts, and find it a very comfortable setup for rides up to four hours. The original romin is a very firm saddle that is probably more suited to people who have a few years cycling experience under their backsides. I assume you have had the saddle fitting done at a specialized retailer using their ass o meter to determine the correct width saddle? Otherwise your current saddle maybe too wide or too narrow..

Personally I prefer the nose of my romin tilting down a few degrees from level...You also need to get the widest part of the saddle directly underneath your sit bones, so you may need to slide the saddle forward or back on its rails until you achieve this, otherwise you won't be properly supported. Incorrect saddle height may also be causing you trouble..

If the above fails, then the shape of the romin probably isn't suited to your personal anatomy...You may indeed prefer a flat saddle like the specialized toupe Or a more curved saddle like the romin evo..
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I had the same problems when i started, adjusting the saddle a little helped, i swapped saddle and found it even better but the two things that worked best were shedding weight around that area and ensuring that i kept incredibly clean and allowed the affected area to breathe.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    I've had the same issue and used savlon when off the bike to clear up the sore.

one thing i did that has really helped me is i lowered my handle bars. my saddle is at a good height, but dropping my handlebars 10mm moved my weight forward meaning less pressure on my ass.
  • Unless youre spending crazy amount of time on the saddle (40 plus hours per week), saddle sore is caused my improper bike fit and incorrect saddle for your arse shape.
  • Get a bike fit I just had my saddle dropped on mine by 40 mm and it stopped my saddle sore instantly. Well worth the money.

Where are you based ? I went to Colin Gardener in Preston and he was ace

+1 for Colin (aka the Bike Magician). Me and the missus both had bike fits with him last weekend, and my good lady went from sore bum, to comfy bum immediately! :D
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    mm1 wrote:
    To treat boils try tea tree oil and drawing ointment (magnesium sulphate paste). After 40 years of no problems, I have been suffering for the last few months, having done one course of antibiotics (flucloxacillin) am now off the bike feeling increasingly depressed. Good luck!

I'm cringing just thinking about applying tea tree oil down there.