Bike rebuild - insurance question

5milestogo
5milestogo Posts: 224
edited July 2014 in Road general
The long and the short of it is that I got knocked off, velo has been 'written off' - I 'escaped' serious injury - but the liable parties insurance company is suggesting / proposed stripping it down, using the 'good parts' together with newly purchased parts to create a 'new' bike.

I feel like I entered the roundabout on a bike and left with a project!

I don't mind doing it (to a degree) but I am a little gob struck and am inclined to tell them to come pick it up - and drop me off something that works that as 'customised' as that.

I mean if you write a car chassis off do you take the good doors off, send them back to the manufacturer and ask then to use them too so the price will come down. Any one experienced anything like this?
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,451
    Are they proposing just delivering a pile of bits to you?
    A quote for a bike shop to strip the old bike and build up the new one should be added to the payout then surely? It'll probably make it a bit more expensive than they're expecting and depending on the value of the salvageable components may be more expensive than buying a new bike.

My local evans cycles has a 'gold service' that involves stripping the bike down and putting it back together for £130 so I guess that's a ball park for the workshop costs.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I can't say i've heard of that before, it is a new way of doing things. I would be rather apprehensive of entering into such agreement, unless they will be paying for a shop to set everything up so you don't have much hassle in the process.

I would still argue for a new bike though!
  • 5milestogo
    5milestogo Posts: 224
    Yeah, I have to go and get everything myself, organize the strip down and the rebuild and get everything across to the LBS to do it. So much hassle.
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I'd tell them to use some new parts on what is still good and sell that to fund the cost of your new bike.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,451
    I'd just speak to your local bike shop and tell them you want to drop the bike off as it is and pick it up with all the bits replaced (just like you would drop a damaged car into a garage) - it'll be more expensive than sourcing all the bits on the cheap online but you're not paying so what do you care.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Don't forget you need to send it off to a professional frame painter to have any scrapes on the frame repaired.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    if the other party has admitted liability

get a quote from lbs to restore to pre-insult condition

add to this any other costs, damaged clothing, taxi home, lost time getting screwed around by fuckwit insurance company etc.

total is X

tell them X cash within 10 business days or you engage no win no fee lawyers to screw them over

go for the throat, with a knife
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny