Isle of Wight - wassit like?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Off on hols next week with the SecretSam clan, plus assorted family from her ladyship's side

Going to take one of the bikes (not sure which) - what's the riding like over there? How 'big' is it - haven't been since I was a kid!!!!!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Rode the Wight Ferry Sportive a month or so ago, which did a lap of the Island, which was probably 70 miles or so, so it's quite big.

It also has lots of hills, mainly short steep variety, but some longer ones around Sandown and Shanklin from memory.

Roads are pretty quiet so its good for riding, would definitely be taking a bike if I was you!

Have fun :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Nice coastal roads, especially in the south
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It is a really nice place to ride - 65-70 miles around the island. Can be windy! There are a couple of sharp hills, but nothing massive - I seem to remember one by ventnor? That was quite steep.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    One of my favourite places on earth - beautiful countryside, and a couple of pretty decent hills. Never taken a bike there yet though.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ride around it every summer on our Fleet-Freshwater-Fleet ride (240km) we always ride clockwise from Ryde and it's a bit like going back 20 years - from Ventnor to Freshwater along the Military Road is nice and we always ride up to the Needles viewpoint. More rolling than hilly IMO and reasonably quiet outside of peak holiday times
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Thanks for all the advice, it looked great - but it's all academic, as I've picked up an infection in the saddle area, so cycling is banned for a week. Just in time for the holiday.

Great.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Just got back wish I had took my bike with me...lots of nice coastal and country routes...fairly quiet on the roads but we did go before most schools had broken up.
    Be prepared for some hills...it's got a few.
    If you look up Isle Wight routes there are some specific round the island routes as well of about 50miles.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!