Emma Pooley to retire

above_the_cows
above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Emma Pooley is to retire after the Commonwealth Games.

http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/emma-pooley-keep-running

I for one am very sad about this, she's my one of my favourite cyclists and definitely my favourite female cyclist Watching her climb is awesome and she has been a real inspiration.

I'm glad she gave us those recent performances in the Giro.
Correlation is not causation.

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    What? :(
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Very sad news. My favourite female cyclist by far, and a very talented lady on and off the bike.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I'm confused as I thought she had retired earlier in the season (after the Women's Tour maybe?) and was down to ride the Nationals for her old club but then turned up still riding for Lotto. Cracking rider and so much power for the size of her.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    I'm confused as I thought she had retired earlier in the season (after the Women's Tour maybe?) and was down to ride the Nationals for her old club but then turned up still riding for Lotto. Cracking rider and so much power for the size of her.

She rode last year for Bigla so that she could finish her PhD.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I thought she had just returned to top level cycling? Thats a big shame, she is an awesome cyclist. I love watching a cyclist who's bike has the top and down tubes meeting the head tube even closer together than mine. :D

Top woman, will be much missed. :(
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Would like to know what she is planning next.

pooley_zps8979c9ee.jpg
    tumblr_n8v0dzhF7C1qatpcmo10_1280_zpsb8fe456a.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Would like to know what she is planning next.

Read the article in the OP and your question will be answered :wink:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Shame. It's been awesome watching so much power coming from such a small frame.
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    Good news forthe Soil Mechanics industry

Which is what I employ people as

So if anyone has her email, let me know :)
  • above_the_cows
    sev112 wrote:
    Good news forthe Soil Mechanics industry

Which is what I employ people as

So if anyone has her email, let me know :)

Ha ha! :D
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    She'll undoubtedly make a sh*t ton more money working with soil than she has riding her bike, so fair play to her
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    She'll undoubtedly make a sh*t ton more money working with soil than she has riding her bike, so fair play to her
    You haven't worked in the UK civil engineering industry lately :)
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Best of luck to her in the tri world. Always good to see a top sportsman/woman who has a rounded view of life.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    sev112 wrote:
    You haven't worked in the UK civil engineering industry lately :)

Good sales pitch. :wink:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    So she is going to do some long distance triathlons. Did really well in the brutal Swissman last year - tha last 8km on the run climbs over 1000 metres!

http://www.suixtri.com/strecke-und-karte/

http://www.suixtri.com/docs/SWISSMAN2013_Finishers.pdf
  • Stridor
    Stridor Posts: 48
    This make me so sad. She is pretty much my favourite rider, male or female. Now there's even less reason for me to like or follow women's cycling.

I don't think anyone can blame her for moving on. She's a climber in a sport which has almost no climbs left. No one expects Nairo Quintana to race Scheldeprijs but in the female peloton, the climbers are expected to race and do well in flattish races.

All it feels like there is left now is samey, dutchy shitty hilly sprinty races being won by the same tedious dutchy, hilly sprinters…

Gah... :evil:

It was brilliant watching her in the TT today even though she came second. She seems pretty content with her decision and I hope that somehow we'll be able to follow her in triathlon.
  • frenchfighter
    Full audio of the interview that was condensed for the Rouleur piece:
    http://prowomenscycling.com/2014/07/29/ ... etirement/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Love the avatar Frenchie.
  • frenchfighter
    20th-commonwealth-games-day-11-20140803-103135-401.jpg
    20th-commonwealth-games-day-11-20140803-095439-511.jpg
    20th-commonwealth-games-day-11-20140803-095413-972.jpg
    20th-commonwealth-games-day-11-20140803-095538-771.jpg
    Photos by Ryan Pierse
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bw7uKC1CcAESQ_G.jpg

José Been @TourDeJose · 50m

No she didn’t retire. Amazing athlete! RT @90Bri: Emma Pooley new World Duathlon Champion!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Didn't she start in Tri?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Bw7uKC1CcAESQ_G.jpg

José Been @TourDeJose · 50m

No she didn’t retire. Amazing athlete! RT @90Bri: Emma Pooley new World Duathlon Champion!

Awesome :)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Well done Emma.

I know you can only beat what is in front of you... but the level of competition in this wouldn't be huge. She's just finished her professional career, everyone else would be good club athletes with jobs. She won by over half an hour. She could have run 2 x 50 min 10kms and still won based on her bike time. Duathlon is more competitive over the shorter distances where the gaps on the bike leg are smaller so the run becomes more important. Although she would still probably win most races.
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    Is she the tiniest senior rider ever? Amazing rider. Good luck to her.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Delete wrong thread
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I raced at the same long course world champs this weekend in Switzerland - not my finest performance personally, but the course was brutal (and hilly running is not my forte)...

I saw Emma a couple of times out on the second run and she was making it look easy. A phenomenal performance!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/get-inspired/28800884

"The 31-year-old broke the course record in Switzerland, tackling the gruelling course which consisted of a 10km run, 150km bike ride and a further 30km run in a time of 6:47:27 - more than half an hour ahead of the second place finisher."

She has a history of racing tri; as she put it to earn money that cycling didn't give her. Hope this is the first of many
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    nic_77 wrote:
    I raced at the same long course world champs this weekend in Switzerland - not my finest performance personally, but the course was brutal (and hilly running is not my forte)...

I saw Emma a couple of times out on the second run and she was making it look easy. A phenomenal performance!

First run profile
    profil_run1.jpg

Cycle profile (three times)
    profil_bike.jpg

Second Run profile
    profil_run2.jpg