Clip in pedals - Shimano 540 - Should I go for Light Action?

Atomic
Atomic Posts: 34
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hello all

Sorry, I guess this is one of those typical "newby" questions - but looking for some advice..

I'm new to road cycling and looking to get my first pair of clip in pedals, and looking at the Shimano R540, that wiggle have on offer at around £20, which seems a good price to see how i get on with this new concept of being clipped in!

Anyway, I notice that Shimano do the 540 in a "Light Action" version which is meant to be a bit easier for clipping in and out of the pedal.

Does anyone have any experience with the Light Action? Is it really that noticeably different?

Having never been in clippy pedals before, the idea of one that is a bit easier to get in and (especially!) out of is quite appealing, but at the same time, I don't want to buy something that after 2 weeks I'm pee'd off and end up buying the normal ones!!

Thoughts?

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    If it helps, at lowest tension on an SPD pedal, your foot should come out with the slightest twisting motion - very easily. Even when starting out, you may find this too loose. Light action and multi release cleats are fine, but it really does not take long to learn. The worst thing you can do is assume it will be really difficult. The reason why so many fall over is that they aren't accustomed to having their feet attached to the pedals, not because of the release mechanism.
  • Atomic
    Thanks Simon

I think that clarifies the line of thinking that I was going down and will just go with the normal versions, rather than the light action ones.

Cheers

Shaun
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    These are SPD-SL pedals for road bikes. rather than SPD. These are a whole different ball game as far as releasing goes so the advice from Simon above is not really valid. At that price I would go for the light action version if you are new to clipless pedals and, if you want to, change later when you have achieve more confidence in them.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    And buying two sets of pedals is good advice, is it? ;)

As stated above, the reason for clipless moments is not the release mechanism. There's a learning curve whatever you buy. A good many around here start off on the standard pedals; conversely, I don't remember the last time this topic was discussed.
  • Atomic
    Thanks for your inputs Simon and "The Mechanic"

I've decided to go with the ordinary 540s rather than the light action ones.

I'll see how I get on and, like you say, at that price it wont break the bank to get the light action ones as well as interim options if I struggle to get on with them.