keeping phone dry

2»

Comments

• vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    tootsie323 wrote:
    Earphones will not protect your iphone from the weather. A sandwich bag will.

The only inconvenience of using a sandwich bag is that you will need to wipe off the crumbs and bits of butter from the iphone afterwards.

:lol: That and spreading peanut butter on your iphone is a real no-no as far the warranty goes :wink:
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Just stick it in a sandwich bag, with the headphone lead poking out of a corner of it. Unless you are planning to go for a swim it will be completely fine. And if you still aren't convinced then I'd wonder what you do with it when you aren't on your bike and in danger of being out in the rain.....
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You do everything differently going from what you hear behind you. You're coming up to the likes of a traffic island and you hear a car approaching, you take primary. You're a way out into the road but you hear someone approach from behind but their engine note doesn't change - this means a close pass is coming so you get the hell over to the left out of the way, all manner of things all the time. Your ears are your rear view mirror, to shut that off is stupid in the extreme.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Carbonator wrote:
    You 'listening to music but I can still hear everything around me guys' are just believing what you want to because it suits you.
    Just say ' I am not quite as safe, but I prefer to take a higher risk but have music' instead and everyone will be happy lol.
    Agreed

Adding a distraction and impairing your hearing while on the bike is plain reckless.
    The arguments being made to justify it don't hold water and in some cases are just plain stupid.

I'm particullarly appalled at the guy who says he'll wear headphones for a major closed road sportive because there's no cars to worry about. Besides the anti-social aspect of it which is comparably minor, you're massively increasing your risk and that of the riders around you if you're unable to hear warnings about upcoming hazards. It's standard practice when riding in a bunch to call out hazards on the road ahead such as potholes, drains, corners, parked cars, pedestrians, dogs, slower riders, gravel, roadkill, etc... It can also be necessary to alert others to sudden changes of speed for any reason or to let people know you're passing them if you don't have lots of clearance. Putting in headphones destroys communication in the group and makes you a liability to everyone. And no, I don't accept that using an earphone in one ear only is a valid solution.
    If you're not in a bunch you should still be able to hear calls from cyclists approaching from behind or instructions from marshalls.

Live without music for a while. You can do it.
    Afraid to be with your own thoughts for a few hours?
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Safety aside, why would you WANT to listen to music whilst on a ride?

When I was in my teens, yeah I had music in while riding to school or doing my newspaper rounds, and I still listen to music all the time. But on a ride out, when it's just me, my bike, and an endless road ahead, it's the last thing I need/want.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have a Galaxy S5, it's IP67 rated for water resistance, I don't worry about it getting a bit damp.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    wooooah there, i didnt want to start a sensory war. the fact is i am doing the london ride 100, and would maybe like to ride with music at some point - its going to be a long day. there will be no cars so we dont have to worry about that.
    however i do tend to agree with the one more ear wont make a difference camp. But i never ride with earphones on the road, purely out of preference, however this will be a different situation.

Whilst I have, on rare occasions, used headphones while cycling AND lived to tell the tale, you cant argue that diminishing one of your senses is less safe. But then crossing the road where there are no traffic lights is less safe than walking down to the pedestrian crossing and I do that all the time - we all make our own risk assessments and decide accordingly.

The things like pocpack etc linked are silly - I have tried something similar but they actually make a compact device big and bulky and a pain to store. Freezer bag or similar are the thing. Just wrap it around the phone if you have a headphone cable running through it, and all should be OK.

However, why on earth are you wanting to use headphones on a group event? The whole point is to be with a group of like minded people. Chat to some - you might find they are nice people. Wearing headphones for this would be really anti-social. You wouldnt stand all night at the bar in your local pub with headphones on, would you? Just DONT, that's all.
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    I use a bit of cling film. If you pull it tight and get it right, you can still see the screen clearly and use the touch screen as normal - film doesn't seem to affect it.

I even wrap my driving licence (SOS purposes), key, and a small note in on the back so I don't have to carry my wallet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wooooah there, i didnt want to start a sensory war. the fact is i am doing the london ride 100, and would maybe like to ride with music at some point - its going to be a long day. there will be no cars so we dont have to worry about that.
    however i do tend to agree with the one more ear wont make a difference camp. But i never ride with earphones on the road, purely out of preference, however this will be a different situation.

Confused about you saying its going to be a long day.

How many miles/hours in the saddle have you done in your training?
    Surely that would be where you would have wanted to use headphones, not on the event itself :?

An 80 mile training ride on your own is way more boring than a 100 mile sportive.
  • Anonymous
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I love the internet, answer to the original question is some form of sealed sandwich bag, what we get is a debate on whether headphones will lead to certain death!

Is it really only the internet where this happens?

Group of guys in a pub would go more off topic surely?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I usually read these kind of debates with detached amusement on the basis that i am never likely to come across the person so i dont really give a monkeys chuff about the stoopid things they decide to get up to.

However, i will be riding that course on the day and may therefore just have to put up with the consequences of your actions. So what is your number and i will look out for you?
  • markhewitt1978
    I have a Galaxy S5, it's IP67 rated for water resistance, I don't worry about it getting a bit damp.

haha. I was coming here to post this. I have one on order currently (vodafone is out of stock), how are you finding it with Strava, specifically with regard to battery life for tracking, or do you use a Garmin for that?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I love the internet, answer to the original question is some form of sealed sandwich bag, what we get is a debate on whether headphones will lead to certain death!
    That's only the answer if you seal your headphones in the bag too. :wink:
  • markhewitt1978
    If I was to wear the plastic bag over my head would it keep my head dry?
  • Anonymous
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I usually read these kind of debates with detached amusement on the basis that i am never likely to come across the person so i dont really give a monkeys chuff about the stoopid things they decide to get up to.

However, i will be riding that course on the day and may therefore just have to put up with the consequences of your actions. So what is your number and i will look out for you?

Yes, was thinking the same as my wife is in a later wave.

Hopefully he is in an 8.30 wave and has a mirror so he does not get run over by the sweep up bus :shock:
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I'm wondering how deaf people manage to cycle at all without being run over all the time - it's a mystery ! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Gimpl wrote:
    I'm wondering how deaf people manage to cycle at all without being run over all the time - it's a mystery ! :lol:

A/ They are not distracted by music
    B/ Their other senses are heightened I thought.
    C/ If you have a disability you tend to learn to cope with it perhaps.
    D/ Maybe deaf people do not cycle that much.
    E/ Maybe some do get run over (why do you assume they do not)

Its a bit low to use people with a disability to justify wearing earphones IMO.

Would have thought being deaf increases risks of accidents quite a bit in everyday life. Why would it be different on a bike?
    If you accept that being deaf increases risk then you have to accept that listening to music does too.
  • markhewitt1978
    Deaf people who cycle are at a significant disadvantage safety wise - there's no question. However people who listen to music aren't deaf so to disable yourself in that way is daft.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I wouldnt be surprised to hear that the rate of accidents in all sorts of everyday life is greater for deaf or hard of hearing people - despite the fact that they probably deliberately take greater care to compensate for the loss of awareness.

Nobody has said you will die every time you ride with headphones, or even that it is ridiculously dangerous, just that it isnt as safe as riding without them.

You make your own choices about risk, but dont pretend that the risk isnt higher with a diminished hearing ability.

You wouldnt ride with a patch over one eye and say you are just as safe because you have another, would you?
  • roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    I was watching a short youtube film about the Athertons recently and Rachel was saying how she's been knocked off by a lorry and quite badly hurt. As soon as she said "Yes so I just put my earbuds in and fired up the AC/DC and jumped on the road bike" my sympathy did go out the window somewhat... :shock: .
  • gimpl
    Carbonator wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:

A/ They are not distracted by music
    B/ Their other senses are heightened I thought.
    C/ If you have a disability you tend to learn to cope with it perhaps.
    D/ Maybe deaf people do not cycle that much.
    E/ Maybe some do get run over (why do you assume they do not)

Its a bit low to use people with a disability to justify wearing earphones IMO.

Would have thought being deaf increases risks of accidents quite a bit in everyday life. Why would it be different on a bike?
    If you accept that being deaf increases risk then you have to accept that listening to music does too.

I'm not trying to justify anything nor have I assumed that no deaf people have ever been run over. That would be ridiculous and I'm not even sure why you mentioned it.

It was however to point out the somewhat flawed logic that wearing earphones immediately means you are a numpty and going to get run over. Yes you may be increasing your risk slightly but not really as much as most of you nay sayers would like us to believe. Personally when I'm going more than 10 mph unless someone is right alongside me I can't hear anything they say anyway as the wind noise muffles it out. Anything approaching my average speed of 18ish mph and you can forget it. What massive difference does it make anyway ? Do you change your behaviour if you hear a car/lorry coming from behind ? Me - I stay safe always.

I don't wear earphones by the way - just think railing against it is another one of those rules type things that's just a bit bonkers.
  • Flashart
    Flashart Posts: 13
    I use a Lifeproof case on my iPhone, waterproof and protects it incase if you have a little, ahem, off (especially good for when I'm out on the MTB!)

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    That's only the answer if you seal your headphones in the bag too. :wink:

keep up Grandad, which phones don't have bluetooth these days? :D
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Gimpl wrote:

I have never seen Oscar Pistorius get run over whilst cycling which is why i chose to cycle without legs!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I suspect there will be loads doing ride london and listening to music so i had better get used to it and stop being so blooming self righteous. Woe betide them if one of them brings me down however or there could well be a phone flying towards the bushes at high speed...
  • Anonymous
    Gimpl wrote:

I'm not trying to justify anything nor have I assumed that no deaf people have ever been run over. That would be ridiculous and I'm not even sure why you mentioned it.
    You must be assuming that no deaf people have ever been run over because of the fact they are deaf, otherwise why use them as an example to say that earphone wearing is not a safety issue :?

Think you shot yourself in the foot and are now digging a hole :lol:
  • gimpl
    Carbonator wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:

You must be assuming that no deaf people have ever been run over because of the fact they are deaf, otherwise why use them as an example to say that earphone wearing is not a safety issue :?

Think you shot yourself in the foot and are now digging a hole :lol:

Are you on drugs ?
  • Anonymous
    It made sense to me but if its just me then maybe I am 8)
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I rode Ride London last year the crowds, corners, other cyclists, road signs, feed stations, eating and drinking on the go, avoiding other people's dropped food/drinks were all very distracting. I wish I had taken headphones to drown out the piffle most cyclists seemed to be spouting about their training, gels, wheels etc

Distraction is when your mind is taken away from critical tasks, for example, trying to juggle babies while tap dancing; you'll either drop the babies or miss some steps. Listening to music isn't necessarily distracting in itself. If I listen to Kasabian at a moderate volume when I ride it isn't distracting. If I had to listen to Acid House or Techno at full volume, that would be distracting.

Back to the OP: clingfilm. It's quieter than a sandwich bag and allows you to keep more of your senses available to avoid the runaway lorry that's about to run you over, unless you're disabled when, apparently, you have super-powers to compensate.

Have fun