Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

keeping phone dry

ashleydwsmithashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited July 2014 in Road general
afternoon,

how do people keep their phones dry. i have an iphone and use one of those zipvit plastic wallets but it lets moisture in somehow. what does everyone else use? id like something that i can use the headphoen jack with as well.

cheers
«1

Posts

  • BrandonABrandonA Posts: 553
    I have a Lezyne Caddy Sack which keeps the contents dry.
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use a freezer bag and it stays bone dry even in pouring rain.
  • what about if you want to use yhe headphone jack?
  • smoggystevesmoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You really shouldn't be listening to music while riding. Better to have all your senses available with nutters in cars not far from your back wheel
  • dodgydodgy Posts: 2,890
    You really shouldn't be listening to music while riding. Better to have all your senses available with nutters in cars not far from your back wheel

    When you hear a car behind you, what do you do?

    Back to the OP, ziplock freezer/sandwich bags. Work out around 1p each and each one will last at least 20 or 30 rides. Almost no weight or bulk to them either, it just doesn't make sense to buy a bike specific alternative.
  • dilatorydilatory Posts: 565
    You really shouldn't be listening to music while riding. Better to have all your senses available with nutters in cars not far from your back wheel

    What do you differently when there is a car behind you? Stop riding, get on the pavement and wait for a clear road? What happens in a group ride when someone is talking to you? Ask them to be quiet? Besides. With the curbside earphone in and the other clear you will hear everything as normal anyway. I spend a lot of time being aware what is around me and notice 0 difference if I have music on or not.
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 9,737
    I used sandwich bags, picked up a slightly more durable alternative because I was going canoeing and it's a little better (mostly because my phone fits in snugly). It's got a triple ziplock as opposed to the double one on a freezer bag but since the freezer bag was suitably waterproof anyway it doesn't make a difference.

    Basically sandwich/freezer bags work fine.
  • Dippydog2Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    edited July 2014
    Pocpac.

    The nice thing is you can still use your phone as a phone of camera without taking it out of the bag.
    And when you order it get an censored saver as well.

    http://www.thepocpac.co.uk
  • BozmanBozman Posts: 2,570
    I've used a sandwich bag for years, through all seasons and my phone has yet to get wet.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    You 'listening to music but I can still hear everything around me guys' are just believing what you want to because it suits you.
    Just say ' I am not quite as safe, but I prefer to take a higher risk but have music' instead and everyone will be happy lol.
  • dilatorydilatory Posts: 565
    Carbonator wrote:
    You 'listening to music but I can still hear everything around me guys' are just believing what you want to because it suits you.
    Just say ' I am not quite as safe, but I prefer to take a higher risk but have music' instead and everyone will be happy lol.

    What added safety feature does your left ear give you? There's two circumstances. I am riding next to the line at the side of the road, as usual, I keep a steady line and pace. Cars will either try and pass me, pass me or wait behind me. Me having a left ear open will not make a difference to anything. If a car wants to drive into the back of me it can, thinking I am safer because I pretend I will hear it and react is moronic.

    The second is there is an obstacle, be it a car, a pothole etc in front me of, I look over my shoulder to double check if it's clear (I often look over my shoulder on solo rides, because y'know, awareness) and react appropriately.

    What happens when you ride into a head wind? You'd be lucky to hear your own freewheel behind you, but suddenly having one ear blocked is unsafe and should be treated with caution?

    I put it to you that if you ride around never aware of what's behind you because you rely on hearing it to react then you are the more unsafe rider.
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,531
    impaired senses == increased risk

    anyone denying that is an idiot
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • afternoon,

    how do people keep their phones dry. i have an iphone and use one of those zipvit plastic wallets but it lets moisture in somehow. what does everyone else use? id like something that i can use the headphoen jack with as well.

    cheers

    Leave it at home?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    dilatory wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    You 'listening to music but I can still hear everything around me guys' are just believing what you want to because it suits you.
    Just say ' I am not quite as safe, but I prefer to take a higher risk but have music' instead and everyone will be happy lol.

    What added safety feature does your left ear give you? There's two circumstances. I am riding next to the line at the side of the road, as usual, I keep a steady line and pace. Cars will either try and pass me, pass me or wait behind me. Me having a left ear open will not make a difference to anything. If a car wants to drive into the back of me it can, thinking I am safer because I pretend I will hear it and react is moronic.

    The second is there is an obstacle, be it a car, a pothole etc in front me of, I look over my shoulder to double check if it's clear (I often look over my shoulder on solo rides, because y'know, awareness) and react appropriately.

    What happens when you ride into a head wind? You'd be lucky to hear your own freewheel behind you, but suddenly having one ear blocked is unsafe and should be treated with caution?

    I put it to you that if you ride around never aware of what's behind you because you rely on hearing it to react then you are the more unsafe rider.

    Its just how you deal with risk. On my road bike there is no way I would have music in as I can't hear what is going on around me properly. Off road I wouldn't bother as I have other things on my mind like not crashing :)
  • BozmanBozman Posts: 2,570
    I don't and I wouldn't use headphones but I can't see the problem, I use earplugs when I ride a motorbike and that doesn't create an issue. You should be bothered about the road in front not what's going on behind, when you start worrying about what's going on behind accidents happen.
  • dilatorydilatory Posts: 565
    It's worth pointing out I don't ride in city centres etc. I ride quiet country roads that I know like the back of my hand. I use them for intervals and tempo rides daily.
  • Why not use a Bluetooth headset. You can then have the waterproof bag fully sealed.
  • IanRCarterIanRCarter Posts: 217
    dilatory wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    You 'listening to music but I can still hear everything around me guys' are just believing what you want to because it suits you.
    Just say ' I am not quite as safe, but I prefer to take a higher risk but have music' instead and everyone will be happy lol.

    What added safety feature does your left ear give you? There's two circumstances. I am riding next to the line at the side of the road, as usual, I keep a steady line and pace. Cars will either try and pass me, pass me or wait behind me. Me having a left ear open will not make a difference to anything. If a car wants to drive into the back of me it can, thinking I am safer because I pretend I will hear it and react is moronic.

    The second is there is an obstacle, be it a car, a pothole etc in front me of, I look over my shoulder to double check if it's clear (I often look over my shoulder on solo rides, because y'know, awareness) and react appropriately.

    What happens when you ride into a head wind? You'd be lucky to hear your own freewheel behind you, but suddenly having one ear blocked is unsafe and should be treated with caution?

    I put it to you that if you ride around never aware of what's behind you because you rely on hearing it to react then you are the more unsafe rider.

    You say you don't ride any differently if a car is behind you yet you say you often look over your shoulder for awareness. Then you have an issue with people using a different sense for awareness, saying they are less safe. Some of us use our ears and check over our shoulder, but using our ears means that we don't have to look over our shoulder as much because we can hear vehicles approaching, rather than relying solely on seeing them behind us when we do a check over the shoulder. How is the rider who uses hearing as well as sight less safe than the one who uses sight alone?

    I don't have an issue with people using earphones but saying you're probably safer because you do wear earphones is like saying you're a safer driver because you removed your mirrors.
  • wooooah there, i didnt want to start a sensory war. the fact is i am doing the london ride 100, and would maybe like to ride with music at some point - its going to be a long day. there will be no cars so we dont have to worry about that.
    however i do tend to agree with the one more ear wont make a difference camp. But i never ride with earphones on the road, purely out of preference, however this will be a different situation.
  • dilatorydilatory Posts: 565
    IanRCarter wrote:
    dilatory wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    You 'listening to music but I can still hear everything around me guys' are just believing what you want to because it suits you.
    Just say ' I am not quite as safe, but I prefer to take a higher risk but have music' instead and everyone will be happy lol.

    What added safety feature does your left ear give you? There's two circumstances. I am riding next to the line at the side of the road, as usual, I keep a steady line and pace. Cars will either try and pass me, pass me or wait behind me. Me having a left ear open will not make a difference to anything. If a car wants to drive into the back of me it can, thinking I am safer because I pretend I will hear it and react is moronic.

    The second is there is an obstacle, be it a car, a pothole etc in front me of, I look over my shoulder to double check if it's clear (I often look over my shoulder on solo rides, because y'know, awareness) and react appropriately.

    What happens when you ride into a head wind? You'd be lucky to hear your own freewheel behind you, but suddenly having one ear blocked is unsafe and should be treated with caution?

    I put it to you that if you ride around never aware of what's behind you because you rely on hearing it to react then you are the more unsafe rider.

    You say you don't ride any differently if a car is behind you yet you say you often look over your shoulder for awareness. Then you have an issue with people using a different sense for awareness, saying they are less safe. Some of us use our ears and check over our shoulder, but using our ears means that we don't have to look over our shoulder as much because we can hear vehicles approaching, rather than relying solely on seeing them behind us when we do a check over the shoulder. How is the rider who uses hearing as well as sight less safe than the one who uses sight alone?

    I don't have an issue with people using earphones but saying you're probably safer because you do wear earphones is like saying you're a safer driver because you removed your mirrors.


    You're putting words in my mouth. I am suggesting that earphone in or out makes no difference. It doesn't make me any more or less safe. I do exactly the same things whether my earphone is in or not.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Its a distraction so it makes a difference :roll:
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    wooooah there, i didnt want to start a sensory war. the fact is i am doing the london ride 100, and would maybe like to ride with music at some point - its going to be a long day. there will be no cars so we dont have to worry about that.
    however i do tend to agree with the one more ear wont make a difference camp. But i never ride with earphones on the road, purely out of preference, however this will be a different situation.

    Think you just gave yourself pleb/muppet status :shock:

    Please don't use earphones for RideLondon. You need to hear what other riders are doing and saying.
    Would have thought it was against the rules to do so anyway.

    if you want to isolate yourself from all the other riders and the crowds I do not think you should be doing the event!
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I love the internet, answer to the original question is some form of sealed sandwich bag, what we get is a debate on whether headphones will lead to certain death!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Well the reason for the original question is even more dodgy than what people first thought lol.

    Can you imagine if every rider in a densely populated sportive had earphones in :shock:
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    I used earphones on the rollers in the garden the other day.
    It was fantastic, but would never use on roads personally.

    Have had music coming straight out of phone on off road MTB rides a few times too.
  • dilatorydilatory Posts: 565
    I wouldn't advocate wearing them on group rides. I wouldn't wear them for my club chaingang where I trust everyone and it's the same circuit let alone a sportive with probably lots of people who've never ridden in a group before.

    The answer to the original question is a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Small, waterproof, great camera! :-) Don't have to worry about bags ever again.
  • zcapp96zcapp96 Posts: 26
    dilatory wrote:

    What added safety feature does your left ear give you?

    Actually the ears are 'designed' as a pair with your brain able to process the sound coming in from both of them to enable you to tell what direction the sound is coming from, with just one ear that is not possible. It is the same with eyes, you only have depth perception with both of them not just one.

    To the original poster, please don't do ride london with earphones in as you will need to be able to hear the instructions of the marshals at all times and there could be emergency vehicles crossing or passing from behind.
  • tootsie323tootsie323 Posts: 199
    Earphones will not protect your iphone from the weather. A sandwich bag will.

    The only inconvenience of using a sandwich bag is that you will need to wipe off the crumbs and bits of butter from the iphone afterwards.
  • whitestar1whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I use this: TRIBORD Watertight pouch from Decathlon.
    watertight-pouch-17-x-12-cm-id_5581700.html
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
Sign In or Register to comment.