Garmin Edge Touring keeps telling me to U Turn

Quizmate
Quizmate Posts: 97
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi

I've got a new Garmin Edge Touring and it's OK at recording new rides to save to device or upload to Connect, but is rubbish at following downloaded routes. It's fine for about the first mile, and then it starts bleeping and telling me to U turn and that I'm off course, despite my definitely being on the correct road. Even after riding for a while it never recovers and keeps insisting I turn around. In the end I just turn it off as the bleeping drives me mad!I think I'm not the only person to have this problem, but any quick solutions would be greatly welcome or else it could be £180 down the drain!!! I've never put a destination in and told it to take me there or create a round trip to follow, but I now wonder if it will misbehave in the same way?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I found Garmins to be very unreliable in the following situations:

1. Routes that return on the same path as you headed out on
    2. Where you ask/allow it to navigate to the start of the route
    3. When you allow it to recalculate

With my Garmin 1000 it would also spot that it could to do a shortcut for you and navigate you wrongly.

As a suggestion, turn off Turn Guidance and audible notifications.

IMO Garmin are going to the dogs - their software/firmware is rubbish.

If it's not working, return it for a refund. Get a Garmin 800 as it's nearly finished as they've ironed out most of the bugs.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,118
    Tell the thing that you can't make a U turn but if you had a pair of wellies, you'd make her eyes water.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Turn off recalculate route.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mine had been pretty good until Saturday, when it went completely bonkers. I'd asked it for a 35 mile round trip, and chose the second route it suggested. Everything was fine till it developed an addiction to supposed cycle paths, and when I chose to ride on the road it threw a real strop and kept insisting on U-turns. I knew where the original route had been, and assumed it would eventually rejoin it, but no, it seemed to be having a toddler tantrum and kept insisting we head prematurely for home.

I then just ignored it and devised my own loop from local knowledge / guesswork. 34.6 miles, so a good guess. Garmin reckoned the temp hit 31c by 1pm!