Just starting.

Alanjan
Alanjan Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
I am 58 and am just starting out on my road cycling career. I have played football to a high level, then at 40 took up tennis. Having trouble with my hips and doctor tells me cycling would be best form of exercise. Have no idea what type of bike or equipment I need. I have got a mountain bike and have been out on the road on this, but felt embarrassed when passed very quickly by a man who looked much older than me on a road bike. Any advice on equipment and does it take long to get used to the saddles?

Just been to local bike shop and don't know whether to go for new bike between £300 -£400, hear Decathlon do a good deal on the Btwin Triban 5, or a second hand bike. Shop had 2 that might fit the bill, GiantSCR3, 24 gears, medium frame (I'm 5'9'')Alex rims, Kenda Konteder tyres (£395) or a Scott 50, 24 gears, Sycross saddle Alexrims wheels(£495) :?:

Anyone had experience of the bike to work scheme :?:

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Go to a local bike shop and on the internet then make a note of the ones you like the look of, then post your options on here. The most important thing is when you buy make sure it's the right size.

As to the saddles the trick is finding the one that suits you but it really doesn't take longer than a few rides to get used to them. Enjoy the riding when you get one. :)
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Good for you. If you are fit then the transition to road cycling should be a bit easier (compared to someone who is fit and trying to lose weight).

First thing is to understand what budget you have for bike, accessories and clothing. Then you can start to look at the appropriate shops and websites to find your bike.

Assuming you're not wealthy and have a limited budget then this is generally accepted as a good value low end starter bike:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red ... 74036.html

Normally £300 if you can get it for £200 even better. I am not suggesting this is the bike for you but it sets a starting point.

Allow for pedals/shoes and some bibshorts and away you go.

You'll then need to add pump, spare inner tubes, water bottles and cages.

Decathlon is a decent shop to visit if you have nearby - they have all of the above at budget prices.

If you keep at it you'll find yourself gradually buying more and better clothing.

Good luck.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    ...and once you know your budget and have made a choice of road bike, try not to get too embarrassed if 'much older' riders go past you occasionally. I was out cycling in the week with a group where one of the riders was 83 years old (it was a 40 mile ride and he averaged just under 16mph - not a startling pace by any means but not bloody bad when you are 83). Many of these older guys have been riding for years and they know how to suffer on the bike!

Given some time on the bike, with a sporting background, you will find that at 58 years of age you will be fitter than the average person in their 30s by some margin I would imagine.

Set your budget, look at new bikes or get somebody with a bit of knowledge to look secondhand for you (there are occasional bargains out there). I'd be happy to forward some advice via PM re: secondhand purchases.

Enjoy the time riding. I know that at 51 years of age, I have never felt fitter than I do now, currently cycling and entering triathlons where I am successful at age-group level.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    On the basis that anything less than a Trek 7-series with Di2 and the very best Rapha togs will give some halfwit somewhere the opportunity to sneer, your best bet is to buy whatever your budget allows and then do like the rest of us - learn as you go, and upgrade. At 58 you've got time to buy another dozen or so bikes before retiring gracefully. :)