Strava - Manual Upload

jfrankland1991
jfrankland1991 Posts: 100
edited July 2014 in Road general
I have recently transferred from Map My Ride to Strava as most of my cycling friends use it! I have uploaded rides manually using the 'Log Workout' function on Map My Ride which allows you to map your route and then apply a time to that route. There does not seem to be this function available on Strava apart from creating routes which does not appear to let you add the time aspect to it?

Does anyone know if you can manually upload rides using a mapping function like you can on Map My Ride?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Is there a way to export your ride information from MapMyRide? Something like gpx format will be uploadable into Strava quite easily.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I believe you can add miles/time as an 'activity' but not the actual route. I've done that before when my data logger has crapped out halfway through a ride before.

I''m struggling to work out why you would need to use that facility any other time. Are you using the app or a bike computer?
  • The only sensible option is to export your rider as gpx files from map my ride and then upload the files to strava. You can do so clicking "view route" in each activity and then clicking on "export route" under the route info section
  • thomasmorris
    thomasmorris Posts: 373
    You can download you gpx from mapmyride and upload to strava, however, strava doesn't have the feature to map and log a ride.

If you do upload from mapmyride you'll notice you'll have a constant speed (the average) over the whole route. This means you'll set artificial times on all the segments on that route, making it pretty much impossible for you to beat your PB on any climbs on that route again (unless you go faster uphill than you do down?). Doing this would pretty much miss the point of strava... and you'll probably take a load of KOMs as well, I know I've lost quite a few of mine this way.

You could set the ride as private if you really want to see the route though, not sure how this would effect pb's on segments though.
  • I didn't think there was that option in Strava. It is a shame that you cant do that in my opinion. You can export gpx files from Map My Ride and upload to Strava but only if they have time data within them or else Strava doesn't expect it. For example, if I have uploaded manually to Map My Ride then that gpx file wont be accepted by Strava
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    Strava needs GPS data doesn't it in order for it to work.
    Map my Ride is just a logging tool that doesn't need GPS.

So if you haven't used a GPS device to record your ride on MmR, then don't bother trying to export it to Strava.