Octalink Bottom Bracket - Spindle Length ?

hairy_boy
hairy_boy Posts: 345
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

bit of a long story but basically need to fit an Octalink crankset taken off a 2011 Giant Talon (73mm BB shell width) onto my old Giant Terrago (68mm BB shell width).

Need to buy an ES25 bottom bracket in a 68mm shell width but what spindle length to go for - they are available in both 126mm or 118mm spindle lengths on chainreaction ?

Later on I can measure the 73mm BB spindle length that the crankset was fitted to if relevant.

Really would appreciate some advice guys on how to select the correct spindle length.

Comments

• bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I only use Octalink Mk1 (ie shorter splines than ES25), but in that, 68x118mm spindle length is for a road triple. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that 68x126mm is for a MTB triple - but it's a guess.
    Why not take advantage of CRC's excellent returns policy, buy both and you should be able to tell just by offering them up which is most likely to be correct? Then it's a no cost return for the other one.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As above - buy both, take old one out, fit the one that is the right one, send the other back.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.