Recommend me a bike - Sorry!

blawford
blawford Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Sorry, I know you must get this all the time, I did a quick search but have a few specific models in mind that I would like to as opinions on.

First of all, I have never owned a road bike before, I am looking to spend less than £500 on the bike considering that I will need probably £100-£200 of stuff to go with it (pedals, shoes, helmet, clothing etc). I am 29 and fairly fit (ran the London Marathon this year).

I thought I had this decision made, I was planning on getting a B'Twin Triban 500 from Decathlon - £450. It seemed like good value for Shimano components and has a carbon fork. When I went in however they don't have stock of any size in any store in the UK and my local store are estimating 4 weeks before they get any.

I have therefore been looking at alternatives, one of which is the 2013 Wiggle Exclusive Felt F95 for £399. This seems to have the same features (Shimano Sora and carbon fork) as the B'Twin, is £50 cheaper and in stock now.

The main difference I notice between the two is the gearing, compact vs triple (18 gears vs 27). Can someone look at the gearing of both bikes and tell me what I should expect? Would one be better than the other for my needs at the moment?

I don't see a weight on the Felt, but I would assume it isn't dissimilar from the B'Twin due to the same materials used on components (alloy frame, carbon fork, both Shimano Sora).

So, along with answers on the previous questions, which should I get? Any other models I should be considering around the same price?

I am fairly busy over the next few weeks and I am trying to sort out getting whatever I end up through the Cycle to Work Scheme, so that may also take a while. With this in mind, while usually impatient I am willing to wait to get the best that I can.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    blawford wrote:
    I thought I had this decision made, I was planning on getting a B'Twin Triban 500 from Decathlon - £450. It seemed like good value for Shimano components and has a carbon fork. When I went in however they don't have stock of any size in any store in the UK and my local store are estimating 4 weeks before they get any.

This would make a very decent first bike.
    blawford wrote:
    I am fairly busy over the next few weeks and I am trying to sort out getting whatever I end up through the Cycle to Work Scheme, so that may also take a while. With this in mind, while usually impatient I am willing to wait to get the best that I can.

If you're busy but want the best you can for your money then it seems to make even more sense to wait for the Triban 500 in my opinion :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Chogger
    Chogger Posts: 62
    I have the Felt F95 (my first road bike) and i enjoy riding it. I originally just intended to use it to comute to work but have found myself going out for longer and longer rides I enjoy riding it that much think it weighs a tad over 9kg. As for the gearing not 100% sure as still realatively new to this but I think a triple gives a bigger range of gearing to make it easier to ride up hills. They both seem pretty good bikes for the money though.
  • blawford
    blawford Posts: 3
    arran77 wrote:
    blawford wrote:

This would make a very decent first bike.
    blawford wrote:

If you're busy but want the best you can for your money then it seems to make even more sense to wait for the Triban 500 in my opinion :wink:

Don't like the F95 then? What makes the Triban better?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    blawford wrote:
    Don't like the F95 then? What makes the Triban better?

I've got no experience of the Felt to be honest with you.

Looks decent enough just looking at the link, pretty similar to the Triban apart from being a double rather than triple but like you say you're fit anyway so it won't be a problem.

I guess it just comes down to how quickly you want the bike as you say the Triban is out of stock?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn