Mavic Aksium play

wiggofan
wiggofan Posts: 30
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I recently purchased a Mavic Aksium wheelset and the front wheel has some slight play which no amount of quick release skewer tightening will cure. The workshop guy where I bought them from said it was insufficient to cause any bearing damage but that I should keep an eye on them and contact him if it got worse.

I understand these wheels are designed to have some play unfitted which is then eliminated by QR tightening, but this doesn't work with mine. I'd really appreciate people's thoughts on this.
No longer a Wiggo fan

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    A tiny bit of 'play' that you can feel with your fingers, BUT which isn't enough to easily see (unless you look really closely) will not cause any problem.
    If there isn't any 'play' then the bearings are being FORCED into tight metal-to-metal contact without room for a thin film of grease to lubricate the contact surfaces. And having the bearings be too tight increases the amount of friction.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    My front Aksium did this recently. I took the QR off and slightly tightened the nuts either side of the hub until the play had gone but the wheel could still freely spin.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Do Aksiums need that funny plastic Mavic spanner to adjust out free play?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I just used a two standard spanners, one for each nut on either side of the hub.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR