Does a few mm cleat postion really cause this muchback pain?

gsvbagpuss
gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hello all

I've been riding my CR1 for years now and specifically with SPD-SLs since February. This year I've put a lot of miles in on them with absolutely no pain (including 385 miles in 60 hours). I replaced my cleats last weekend and a few hours after each ride since I get a very stiff lower back, eased by stretching my hips it seems. No pain while riding. I could be confusing correlation with causality as I've also been hitting the gym more but it does seem to be pretty well aligned.

When I initially installed my cleats I just put "in the middle" of my Sidis and thought I had recreated the same position this time. Can a 1mm postion change really hurt me this much? Looking at the marks on my sole I may have put the new cleats 1mm further forward so have moved then now and will try again once I've loosened up again.

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    The day I first went clipless I started with knee pain. I set up the clips in a neutral position.

At this time I was new to cycling, so didnt have the knowledge / experience that I do now.

I spent a fortune on physio's who did all sorts of things to my knee, but nothing made any difference and it was ruining my enjoyment of cycling, and causing knee pain 24/7. I couldnt even walk without pain.

It went on for weeks.

Then one day I noticed when dangling my legs off the side of a table I was sat on, that my left foot was straight, but my right foot turned out a few degrees. I decided to adjust my cleat position by about 3mm to allow for this, and overnight the pain went away and has never happened since.

So, to answer your question - yes it really can make a huge difference.

I was even using yellow SPD-SL cleats (i.e. with "float" built in), and even so, correct position is important.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    ^^ This.

Also, ride the "pub bike" with flats, and glance down to see how your feet position themselves and how they move. Enlightening!
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    I was getting lots of outer foot pain at one time, I change my shoes 3 times and it was the positioning. Longer rides I still get a slight ache, but nothing as bad now.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Yep, another person here who experimented with cleat position until it was perfect. Just move by a mm or two at a time, nothing too major.
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    Tip ! - Once you have found your ideal cleat position draw around the cleat with an indelible marker or make small marks with it (if you don't want to overly mark the underside, that no-one sees anyway...).
    Next new set of cleats setting up is a doddle.

1967 Engine
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Yeah, it took me ages to figure out decent cleat placement. I just had to accept that on a couple of rides I'd spend almost as much time sat on walls making adjustments than I would riding. Well worth the effort though.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    A tip for Look users - get some VP "jigsaw" cleats - then when time comes to replace them, do it a half (ish) at a time.

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m2b0s86p440 ... Compatible