We start LEJOG in 2 weeks!

litwardle
litwardle Posts: 259
edited July 2014 in Road general
Hi all,

Just a thank you for all the great advice for our up coming LEJOG ride over the past year! This forum has been such a valuable recourse for us.
Here is a quick update, we are cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats starting on 3rd August. We are cycling for S.U.D.E.P. Action (Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy) Roy, the organizer of our 3 man ride sadly lost his brother Nathan due to SUDEP. In training for the ride has shed a massive 8 stone! Hence the name of our ride: Chubbs Cycle Challenge!
Quite scary now as it's getting very close! Biggest worry is drivers really. To make matters worse we had a very close call during a training ride the other day: Doing about 35MPH down a long stretch of down hill when a driver pulled along side us very closely to shout abuse, he then sped up to drive past for us to discover he was towing massive great caravan which skimmed past with a hair's breadth between us!! #smidgaf

Anyway big thanks to KIWA UK who have paid for a support vehicle. They also supplied us with a load of great kit to wear! (photo below)!
Please take a sec to visit our just giving page https://www.justgiving.com/chubbs-cycle-challenge and send us a quid :) Also If you'd like to follow our progress there will be lots of videos and blog entries during the ride here: http://blog.chubbscyclechallenge.co.uk

10462576_10152956015459115_1734862039209856013_n_zps4c410c77.jpg

Again thank you for all your help and advice and if you see us on the road from 3rd August give us a wave (and a brew)!

Lee

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Best of luck for your journey guys!
  • Yeah good luck hope the weather holds! You'll get the worst of the hills out the way first, I did my Jogle beginning of June this year and Cornwall was definitely the hilliest bit, well apart from Kirkstone Pass!
  • litwardle
    Cheers both! Been doing lots of hill training in the Mendips but of course that's one 70 mile ride then off home for a cuppa and cake not everyday so totally different ball game! Day 2 we come up the A39 (not a mega busy A road) and thats really hilly...Of course what goes up must come down eh?!
  • Good luck fella's, I'll keep my eye out and kettle on for you if your passing through the forest of bowland. Did my last Lejog back in 2006 and found the hardest bit of the whole journey was getting to the start line. Once your there its just a big holiday (don't tell the missus that). Take your time on day 1 (its not a race, unless of course it is?) and bring some bug spray for the highlands and most of all enjoy it and take in the sights as it will be over all too quickly..
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    All the best for the challenge, no doubt it will be a hard but enjoyable journey. Remember to stop and take loads of photos so that you can look back on it in a few years time.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    best of luck on your amazing journey. the fact its for a good cause simply makes it all the more worthwile.

agreed with the above to take plenty of pics/vids where you can.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    A39 a good choice and as you say a tad undulating... And reasonably quiet if you time it right. Dont ride on the A30 unless your will is up to date and your widow is well provided for...
  • litwardle
    Thank you all for the kind wishes!

@Mikey23 Totally agree!! I'm up in North Devon so know it well... Sod the A30..people do it though!!!
    Will take loads of pics..We have a support vehicle so will be getting him to video and photo lots of action shots like top gear! (only much slower and fatter)

We're using mainly B roads and the quieter A roads.. Missing out Birmingham all together and passing just to the left, will be going though the Lakes and also along Loch Ness so it will be amazing!

Doing it over 14 days so we can enjoy it and take it steady.

Lee
  • litwardle
    Just had a donation on just giving from a forum member :) so thank you whoever you are!

https://www.justgiving.com/chubbs-cycle-challenge/

9 days to go!!
  • litwardle wrote:
    Thank you all for the kind wishes!

@Mikey23 Totally agree!! I'm up in North Devon so know it well... Sod the A30..people do it though!!!
    Will take loads of pics..We have a support vehicle so will be getting him to video and photo lots of action shots like top gear! (only much slower and fatter)

We're using mainly B roads and the quieter A roads.. Missing out Birmingham all together and passing just to the left, will be going though the Lakes and also along Loch Ness so it will be amazing!

Doing it over 14 days so we can enjoy it and take it steady.

Lee

I did a lot of the old A30, it's a really nice rolling road, Exeter to Launceston.