carbon forks, crown face,headset questions!

19761980dean
19761980dean Posts: 45
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
please be gentle its my first posting!

I've recently got hold of a Pinarello frame and some Bianchi forks, My questions and what im struggling with is fitting the headset I was hoping that someone could please help me and advise regarding the crown race which it looks like it doesn't have. I've rang my lbs and there happy to fit one for free if I get hold of one but I cant work out what kind / size I'll need....I don't want to keep driving to the lbs with question after question so thought i would tap into the font of knowledge on here
Also am I better removing the bearings from the forks and getting a new headset (with a crown race included) are they easy to remove or lbs again.
forks I belive are 1 1/8 untapered (although there is a slight lip as at the head of the forks)
eagerly awaiting some pleasant, helpful replies.
20140712_215758_zpsfa5d7f9f.jpg

20140712_215820_zpsf3b1493f.jpg
20140712_215849_zpsf27c0ca3.jpg
20140712_215730_zpsc5ff4383.jpg

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    you can probably get a crown race, but do you have all the other parts of the headset?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As above - I must admit that I'd just splurge on a new headset. Get the shop to fit it all, job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The fact that the headset bearings don't have chamfers looks a bit weird so probably not a standard integrated headset. I'd simply find a complete headset and have it installed. Old bearings should simply push out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the replies guys that was my thinking, just get the bike shop to pop the whole thing in, but I think ill need the correct sizes before I get the headset with crown race.

I was going to get a standard 1 1/18 headset but its the slight lip on the forks making me hesitant or should the crown race just go over this.

any idea what kind ill need if the bearings don't have chamfers? id like to just pop the whole lot at the shop in one go so it'll be sorted in one go.

thanks again for the help
  • sungod
    the extra diameter at the crown is normal

there is no 'standard' headset, there are umpteen types, you need to get the correct headset for the frame

if you can say exactly which frame you have, someone may be able to say which you need

a few other things to consider...

you'll also need a bung for the steerer (unless there's one already fitted)

is the steerer length correct? do you need spacers? etc.
  • I noticed via some googling that there are loads of different size / style headsets which makes me think i'll need to get out the bearings somehow to get the correct angles / sizes (they wont push out) I've got a steerer for the forks although this will also be the first time ive fitted a carbon specific one. the forks are uncut and I have plenty of spaces, I'm thinking of getting the correct position with the stem then having it cut at lbs who said itll only cots a fiver. photo of frame and pic attached hope it helps, thanks for guidance.
    20140713_102125_zpsw4otlhgn.jpg
  • Thanks for the replies guys that was my thinking, just get the bike shop to pop the whole thing in, but I think ill need the correct sizes before I get the headset with crown race.

If your lbs is doing the job of fitting a headset and forks for you why do you need to source the parts for them?
  • When I rang enq about having the crown race fitted they said they don't sell them
  • sungod
    ask the lbs to remove the bearings and find you a new headset, you're not using the original forks so this will be the simplest option
  • Sounds like a plan, thanks for advice.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Did you get this sorted?

For two years now I have run my bike with just a cartridge bearing top & bottom and nothing else - no races etc.

I feel that this probably isnt how you're supposed to do it, but I've had smooth steering and no problems!

Originally the bike just came with open cage bearings, and after I knocked out all the fixings, it left a space in the frame top and bottom into which the new cartridge bearings perfectly slot. I think they are cane creek ones.

Where my steerer tube / forks meet looks just like yours.

Co-incidentally, I decided tonight to get my LBS to supply & fit a proper headset setup - hence me finding this thread - for the negligible cost it's worth just letting them do it right, as I too got confused by the hundreds of different headseats!