Stupid KMC 10sp Missing Link

SCR Pedro
SCR Pedro Posts: 912
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hey. Does anyone know how to open these stubborn pieces of crap? It's one of the re-usable links, for which you should be able to push the plates together and then apart. Not a bloody chance! I've been at it for an hour, and not a budge.

Any tips? All of the search results suck.
Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
Giant TCR Alliance Zero
BMC teammachineSLR03
The Departed
Giant SCR2
Canyon Roadlite
Specialized Allez
Some other junk...

Comments

• SCR Pedro
    Job's a good 'un! Thank you, sir!
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    there are two types from kmc, one is removable, one isn't

if you have the removable type, if it is not damaged you are not doing it correctly, i've used umpteen of them, there is a definite technique, at first i struggled, now it's a few seconds

to simplify, put chain on small-small to remove tension, to make it really easy you could use a rubber band to pull the rear mech forward

with the chain slack and the link positioned on the lower run, gently squeeze (not mash) while sliding, the link will come undone

if it doesn't then either it's damaged or you're doing it wrong
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gsej
    gsej Posts: 34
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Hey. Does anyone know how to open these stubborn pieces of crap? It's one of the re-usable links, for which you should be able to push the plates together and then apart. Not a bloody chance! I've been at it for an hour, and not a budge.

The CTC link has a good technique for when you're out on the road, but at home I use these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Chain-Link-Missing-Powerlink/dp/B00D9NW32I constantly. A great time and finger tip saver.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    gsej wrote:
    SCR Pedro wrote:

The CTC link has a good technique for when you're out on the road, but at home I use these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Chain-Link-Missing-Powerlink/dp/B00D9NW32I constantly. A great time and finger tip saver.

BBB also do a set of these which I find to be excellent :)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I could always undo the 8 and 9 speed ones, but the 10 speed reusable ones can sometimes be a bugger to undo with the squeeze and slide technique. The CTC tip is handy at the roadside.

For home use I'd recommend the removal pliers. Seems like overkill but they are jolly handy; I love mine.
  • SCR Pedro
    I'll look into getting one of these tools. They could only help.

@sungod: I have the re-usable type. I had the crank completely off, so there was no tension whatsoever. The link is only 600km old, and is in good condition. Internet searches tell me that the 10sp ones are much harder to remove than 8 or 9 speed links. It took a 'tickle' with a hammer, but it did the job.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have the 11sp ones and always use the removal pliers...why struggle?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    keef66 wrote:
    I could always undo the 8 and 9 speed ones, but the 10 speed reusable ones can sometimes be a bugger to undo with the squeeze and slide technique. The CTC tip is handy at the roadside.

For home use I'd recommend the removal pliers. Seems like overkill but they are jolly handy; I love mine.

I agree. The 9spd. link on my old bike was a doddle to undo by hand. I find the 10spd. link on my current bike is impossible to undo by hand. I used to resort to threading a loop of tennis string between either side of the link and pulling the loop closed which would open the link. It worked well, but I now just use a pair of removal pliers as they're only for a few quid.