Campag Ergolever Jamming

bilsea159
bilsea159 Posts: 256
edited July 2014 in Workshop
My centuar ergo lever button is jamming preventing me from changing down although I am able to change up through the cassette, but slightly touching the brake lever when it happens allows the button to work. Any thoughts why this is happening? The brake release is located correctly and i notice a slight rattle from the body of the lever over rough surfaces.

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I had something similar with my Veloce (same as Centaur) shifter. If found that the problem was that the front edge of the shifter lever was getting caught on the little cushion pad on the back edge of the brake lever (hope that makes sense). As a result the gear lever would not always fully return to the far right. When that happened the button wouldn't operate.
    I played around with it a bit and eventually resorted to a little gentle filing of the front edge of the gear lever where it met the little pad. I put a very small curve there. All has been fine since and the gear lever fully restores to the right.

Whether there were better ways to cure the problem than using the fle I don't know but it worked for me. :roll:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The thumb shifter can get caught on the hood as well. Ensure the hood is fitted properly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    There is also another issue where a thumb lever can jam (on the older ultrashift 10 speed levers though) - it's if you ride with your thumbs resting on the levers, you can very partially depress them and get then 'caught'. To fix, breaking may jolt them free, but pushing the lever upwards a touch with the top of your thumb will for sure.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I had this issue on my Super Record levers for a while, but it went away. I guess it was down to the levers wearing in...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava