Wheels off?

Trekker89
Trekker89 Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in Workshop
This might seem pedantic, but I'm sure there are others out there who think like this. So the only way I can store my road bike is with its wheels off, and having just upgraded to Ultegra 11spd I want to take care of those gears.

Will storing a road bike without a rear wheel on affect the gear tuning/drive chain in any way? I'm wondering if having the rear wheel on creates an tension around the deraileur which, when removed, can affect the gear tuning. Typically the bike is stored this way 5 days a week.

Cheers for responses!

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Hi,

If you are bothered about this then buy one of these, it will keep your bikes transmission and chain in tension. Can also be used as an aid to cleaning and helps prevent the dropouts from being crushed if transporting your bike sans wheel.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-btl-50-chain-grip/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No worries, it makes no difference whether wheels are on or off
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Why do you want to take the wheels off? That just seems a pain.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    k-dog wrote:

Sounds like he has to rather than wants to. I'm sure if there was the option of storing it intact he'd be doing it.

To the OP, the wheels should just slot straight in and your indexing should remain the same. Something wrong if you need to adjust something every time.
  • Trekker89
    Trekker89 Posts: 6
    Ace, that's good to know thanks for advice all.
    k-dog wrote:

K-dog, with the wheels on, I might actually have to learn to ride the thing.