Replicating road problems on a stand

Colinthecop
Colinthecop Posts: 996
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I think I should be commended for this thread title, I was unsure how to summarise this thread in so few words so those forum members who are short of time didn't come here by mistake and blame me for wasting their time... But I think i've nailed it. :D

Anyways, I have a clicky noise. A gear clicky noise when I ride on the road. I thought maybe one of my mechs might have been rubbing the chain but all seems good.

However, when I stick the bike on the workshop stand and click through all the cogs, it's all good and surprisingly smooth (for a self taught indexer).... But back on the road, clicky gears.

:roll:

I just can't seem to replicate the problem I get on the road when the bike is on the stand.... :?

Perhaps i'm imagining it, but I don't think so, so i'm at a loss as how to sort it.

If it makes a difference, it's only on the large front chainring and the smaller rear cogs.

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    When you say a click what do you mean? Does it sound as if it's trying to shift to a different cog on the back? If this is the case it may be that the hanger is bent.

If you can't replicate it on the stand then not much else you can do but take a selection of tools out with you on a ride, or ride round the block, tweak something then round the block again.
  • Colinthecop
    Yeah, it could be trying to shift cogs, it's a repeated click....

But I don't understand why it won't do the same when it's on its stand.

It would just make things a bit easier. :cry:
  • Could it be from saddle, seat post or headset if it only happens when frame is loaded and force applied?
  • Colinthecop
    No, it stops when I freewheel.
  • Definitely sounds like it's from the bar tape...
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Gears always react slightly differently when on the road compared to a stand. Do you have a turbo you could use to apply some force to the rear wheel? Is it every wheel rev or crank rev?
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    are the chain and sprockets same age? You will sometimes get a clicky noise from the gears when under load if the chain is new and the cogs are old....but not worn enough to jump over cogs
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Another culprit might be your pedals.

Some time ago I splashed out cash on new BB, cassette, chain to try to eliminate a clicking while pedalling. Eventually was advised to try some new pedals and that solved the problem.

Noises from any part of the drivetrain can be transmitted to make it difficult to pinpoint the source.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Is it just once per crank revolution, or is it a constant rhythmical clicking that gets quicker/slower with cadence?

If it stops when you freewheel it could be

1 Ungreased pedal threads
    2 Leg/Foot hitting front mech cable end
    3 Chainset bolts need greasing and tightening/locktite

If it's only on Big/Small, I'd be looking at that list in reverse order I think.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Even if it stops when you frewheel it could still be the saddle or seatpost flexing due to you putting power down. I have a click that I'm pretty sure is the saddle rails as it only happens when I'm pedalling seated. Impossible to replicate on the stand, but if I'm out on the road it's there when I'm in the saddle going uphill, but stops as soon as I stand up.
  • Colinthecop
    Thanks for the replies, it's not too big a drama, just a bit annoying that I cant get the same noise when not on the road...

I'll go through the suggestions, but this is interesting -

lapavoni10 wrote:
    are the chain and sprockets same age? You will sometimes get a clicky noise from the gears when under load if the chain is new and the cogs are old....but not worn enough to jump over cogs

My chain is new but my rear sprocket was bought used, although it was meant to have low mileage.... :?
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    I will add to that...if you get the clicking in all gears, its not the chain/sprockets....I would be very surprised if all the sprockets were worn the same amount.....largest and smallest are rarely used...normally.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    arlowood wrote:
    Another culprit might be your pedals.

Some time ago I splashed out cash on new BB, cassette, chain to try to eliminate a clicking while pedalling. Eventually was advised to try some new pedals and that solved the problem.

Noises from any part of the drivetrain can be transmitted to make it difficult to pinpoint the source.

In cases like these, get a cardboard tube from a kitchen roll or similar.
    Put the bike in a turbo trainer and get someone to pedal. Put the tube to your ear and other end to wherever you suspect noise is coming from. Saves you time and money. I once had a rubbing sound I thought was mudguard. Couldn't find where it was coming from. I found it using the tube - it was actually from the seal on the wheel bearing. Wouldn't fancy my chances of locating that easily....
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Or instead of a tube, use a piece of wooden dowling about 1/2" in diameter - stick one end in your ear and the other end on the frame or component. You'll be amazed how sounds travels through a solid compared to air. Try it on a car engine and you can hear all the valve components clicking away.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Colinthecop
    Good idea, I could use my wifes stethoscope, that could work well.

Makes a change for it to be used properly rather then for bedroom roleplays - but that's a story for another thread.

:oops:
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    drlodge wrote:
    Or instead of a tube, use a piece of wooden dowling about 1/2" in diameter - stick one end in your ear and the other end on the frame or component. You'll be amazed how sounds travels through a solid compared to air. Try it on a car engine and you can hear all the valve components clicking away.

Makes sense and I will try that next time.