Brake hose stuck in lever.

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I got a good deal on some Tektro Draco (HD M301) brakes because they were set up for the european market, front on the left.

My intention was to simply swap the levers over and bleed if needed.

Unfortunately after unscrewing the lock nut from the right hand lever I still couldn't get the hose out (the left hand hose came out easily) and ended up trimming down the hose and only changing the front brake for now.

I'd like the option of changing the hose if it ever needs it so how can I get the stuck end of the hose out?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pull harder.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    cooldad wrote:
    Pull harder.

If this doesnt work, wiggle and pull even harder.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Initialised
    benpinnick wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Pull harder.

If this doesnt work, wiggle and pull even harder.

Tried that, but I didn't want to kink or damage the hose so went a bit easy on it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Others have mentioned it: wiggle the hose as you pull.

I would add this technique:

Wrap an old rag or tissue around the tip (where the hose enters), grip the lever body inbetween your feet, then wiggle as you pull on the hose.

The rag will prevent oil from flying across the room.

The hose can also be shortened at the caliper end.

The Shimano hose shortening method without a bleed will work on all Tektro brakes.
  • Initialised
    bikaholic wrote:
    Others have mentioned it: wiggle the hose as you pull.

I would add this technique:

Wrap an old rag or tissue around the tip (where the hose enters), grip the lever body inbetween your feet, then wiggle as you pull on the hose.

The rag will prevent oil from flying across the room.

The hose can also be shortened at the caliper end.

The Shimano hose shortening method without a bleed will work on all Tektro brakes.

I didn't need to bleed it after shortening it and a test ride this morning shows no sponginess and no signs of leaks. It did make my leg bleed.

I guess I'll have to buy a hose kit or re-use the old hose for the rear, I need some more olives and inserts for the road bike as that also needs it's hoses shortening and I only have one left.