Advice please

deepblue12
deepblue12 Posts: 17
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
After a new bike, have set a max budget of 2K and have narrowed it down to 3 but have a quandary.
First 2 are easy, Specialized Roubaix with a 105 Groupset and Giant Defy also with 105 both with lifetime carbon frame warranty. Have tried both and not much to choose between them, although your stuck more or less with whatever parts comes with the bike (stem length etc)
The other option is for a custom Dolan l'Etape which has an Ultegra Groupset for the same price as the other 2, but only a 2 year carbon frame warranty. However, Its also infinitly configurable and they will build the bike based on my Retul bike fit settings including crank length, stem etc, plus I get the choice of different wheel set/tyre options.
My main query is never having had a Carbon frame, do people think a 2 year carbon frame warranty is sufficient or should I go for the lifetime warranty of the Spec/Giant.
Any other thoughts/comments welcomed.

Thanks

Gary
"Love life, love a lard"

Comments

• Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    If I was buying new, a lifetime warranty seems much more attractive than a 2yr one....
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Depends how meaningful the lifetime guarantee is & T&Cs. More importantly how long are you going to keep the bike? If less than 5 years or so I think its unlikely to matter.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.