Flat pedals with toe clips

sinar
sinar Posts: 59
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any pedals that i can use with toe clips for my new road bike?

I have previously tried using SPDs on my mountain bike, but i did not like them, I would panic sometimes and fall over, I should probably persisted with them and might try them again in the future, now on my MTB i use spiked flat pedals.

Decades ago i used to have a Dawes Galaxy that i used with toeclips, and was thinking of getting something similar for the road bike,

Thanks for reading

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    using clipless on a road bike is a lot different to a MTB, I couldn't get away with using them on my MTB and prefer platforms, but on the road definitely worth persevering with
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Nukeproof electrons are lightweight mtb style pedals if you prefer them. I have a set on my road bike as I don't get on with being clipped in.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    MKS still make neat trad quills e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14123996 ... 108&ff19=0
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • sinar
    drlodge wrote:

Yes, similar, but the toe clip looks integrated, i'd like a flat pedal that i can attache toe clips to (to give me a choice of toe clips)

Thanks for the suggestion
  • sinar
    using clipless on a road bike is a lot different to a MTB, I couldn't get away with using them on my MTB and prefer platforms, but on the road definitely worth persevering with

Thanks, i'm glad that is the case, I think i will have a go with clipless again in the future when i've got confidence on my bike, the first time i have sat on a road bike was at the dealer where i bought my bike, it seemed a bit odd compared to MTB, so i want to get more familiar with that feel first.
  • sinar
    Kajjal wrote:
    Nukeproof electrons are lightweight mtb style pedals if you prefer them. I have a set on my road bike as I don't get on with being clipped in.

Thanks, do you know if top clips can be attached to them?
  • sinar
    meagain wrote:
    MKS still make neat trad quills e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14123996 ... 108&ff19=0

Thanks i'm not really familiar with what trad quills are, but they look nice, i'm assuming toe clips can be attached?
  • sinar
    Has anyone used any of these Token pedals?

rjk2g9.png
  • meagain
    Yes they can! I use them with just the toe clip bit (no straps) on my Planet X (and lots of other bikes over the years).
    d.j.
  • sinar
    meagain wrote:
    Yes they can! I use them with just the toe clip bit (no straps) on my Planet X (and lots of other bikes over the years).

Thanks, i'm quite close to getting these,

http://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/products/v ... oad-pedals

They will be going on my Planet X Pro Carbon when i get it :)
  • meagain
    Nice pedals indeed.
    d.j.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    sinar wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Thanks, do you know if top clips can be attached to them?

I wouldn't think so but they provide plenty of grip.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Heard lots of good things about MKS. I'd definitely go for a proper rat trap rather than just your common-or-garden rubber platforms - you want channels big enough to take leather straps.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    If you want some I've got some unused quill type pedals knocking around, suitable for clips - drop me a PM

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    The MKS Sylvan range are worth a look:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=sylvan

The Touring and Stream models are like old Campag rat traps, and are drilled for clips but are also double sided (which makes them easy to use without clips - no need to rotate them to get the right side).

If you want to give SPDs another go, try loosening the spring tension and fitting mult-release cleats:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod10969

These might even be easier to get out of in a hurry than clips and straps. You can also buy pedals that are SPD on one side and flat on the other:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-sp ... ng-pedals/
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sinar wrote:
    Has anyone used any of these Token pedals?

rjk2g9.png

No I haven't, but used that type of pedal in the distant past. The Tokens look to be a perfectly suitable pedal if that's what you want. I have a pair of Suntour Superbe Pro's from the late 70's that I used for many years and they are basically just like those Tokens. They are still in use today(on rare occasions) and still spin just fine despite never having done any kind of maintenance on then. There isn't much that can go wrong with that type of pedal.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Tokens look identical to Genetic Pro Track Pedals @ £19.99: I bought a pair to replace a pair of Campagnolo Record pedals on my 1980s Gios where the cage cracked and can't be repaied. I've used them for L'Eroica, RetroRonde and they can't be faulted. Sealed bearings mean zero maintenance and they're pretty light too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..