Veloflex Carbon Or Extreme

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm using Veloflex carbons front and rear.

The rear tyre finally punctured the other day. It was a slow puncture that only went flat after I got home. I used some sealant and it worked a treat. Then yesterday after getting home I noticed what I thought was a bit of glass in the tyre so I picked at it. Problem was it was a glob of sealant not glass. So the tyre popped and it won't seal again.

But it was nearing the end anyway. I will replace both tyres at the same time despite there being plenty of tread left of the front tyre. Then I will have a spare if necessary.

But as the front wears much less than the rear I could maybe use a Carbon Extreme on the front. Does anyone have any experience of these? They have a higher TPI and are lighter. I just wondered if the puncture resistance is worse or if wear is much worse?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    stick with carbon (assuming you don't want a tougher tyre)

although the tpi is a smidge higher the extreme is less durable than the carbon

see http://www.veloflex.it/

choose the arenberg for what is essentially a tougher carbon
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    That is another option. Carbon front and Arenberg rear.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Got Extreme's on my main bike and have ridden over gravelled roads with loose chip pings (it's how they seem to prefer repairing them around here) without issue. Only downside for me is the tyre width. When it comes to change I'll go with the Arenbergs for the 25mm width.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.