Castelli or Gore waterproof?

simopina
simopina Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Road general
Hi
I'm looking to get a high quality waterproof jacket for the cycle to work, ideally one that folds up into a pocket. I can't decide between the Gore Oxygen Active Shell or the Castelli Pocket Liner. I prefer the llok of the Castelli, but not sure if it is worth the extra money? I'm 6'2, with a 44 chest and longish arms, so any issues with sizing would be helpful to know about too.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not quite the same but for mountain biking I bought a gore countdown windstopper 2.0 in xxl size.

I am just over 6ft6 with a long body. The fit is fine for me, the arms are easily long enough and the body length is fine as well.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    i'm about same height but skinnier, the medium castelli is fine for me and generous on arm length - use the castelli size chart, choose based on chest size

it's the most breathable full waterproof i've ever had, and i've tried a few, the rear flap is good length as well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I think the castelli is generally thought to be the best fully waterproof with breahable properties jacket you can get...though you'll sweat with any fully waterproof jacket tbh.

Road.cc did a recent review of a sugoi jacket thats meant to be the best at being breathable, but is also very pricey: http://road.cc/content/review/121738-su ... ell-jacket

Another option is a castelli gabba - more of a jersey than jacket but do a search on the forum and it gets the thumbs up from a lot of people, I might get one this winter.

I currently have a gore path jacket (rrp £150) which while warm and waterproof is unusable for me above around 5 degrees as I run hot and end up getting as wet from sweating as I would from the rain :(

Thats basically your choice though - you need to work out how waterproof and how breathable you want your jacket to be, you cant really have both (though that sugoi looks like its made a decent go of it)
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    I have the Castelli Misto. Much cheaper than the pocket liner. Folds up small and as breathable as these things are.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    Castelli

Driest, lightest and most breathable jacket I have ever owned.
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    I have the Gore Oxygen AS jacket and really rate it. I have used it in the rain, sleet and snow on rides up to 100 miles through the uk winter. The fit is great, reasonably slim and has nice touches like the soft cuffs and collar. The main drawback is the zips. They are really hard to use with winter gloves on. It's breathable enough to wear all ride on wet days but will fit in a jersey pocket if not needed, but only just.

Two of my riding buddies use the Castelli Pocket Liner. Again it seems like a great jacket and breathabity is very good for a fully waterproof shell. Zips don't seem to be as much as an issue and the cut seems a little looser than the Gore. Main drawback is it is not very pack able and they often end up stuffing it up the back of their jersey as opposed to in a pocket as it won't fit without some very tight rolling.

The reason I bought the Gore over the Castelli was that I paid 1/3rd of what they did for the Castelli. This makes crash replacement a lot more bearable and I didn't think I could justify the price difference.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    What about the Rapha Rain Jacket?

I've been looking at the Castelli and Rapha ones and cant decide, both around the same price.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have the gore great jacket.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited June 2014
    Here's what I thought of the Pocket Liner:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12971584

Post review I can confirm that the Race Cape is superb.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'd go Gore - they ve been making jackets for longer than anyone else and IMO are the best.

I find the Gore kit tends to have quite long arms (actually a bit too long for me)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nibby

I looking for a jacket that will see me though the sh**** UK weather and to cover me for various types of riding from commuting to sportives to sunday club rides so needs to be a bit of a do it all.

I'm thinking of the Castelli Cape or the Rapha Rain Jacket but also the Rapha Classic Wind Jacket. My thinking with the wind jacket is that although not waterproof it will breath better than various rain jackets and be a bit more of an all round jacket.

Any thoughts?
    cheers
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    Another vote for Gore here. Castelli makes good stuff but nothing to write home about . I've been using my Gore jacket for almost 4 years now ans it still looks new. Shame on me for wasting my money on Assos stuff.... :?
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Just wanna add to my post as I forgot before. The zip on my waterproof gore packed up after just over a year (warranty gone). Didnt use it that much at all but its corroded badly and after 10 minutes if at all I can maybe just get the zip on...but its a struggle.

I would still use it in the winter for really cold weather but I've had to leave the zip done up and put it on/pull it off which is a pain.

For a £150 RRP jacket it's pretty disgraceful. I'm sure it's a one off but my moneys going elsewhere next time
  • ddraver
    nibby wrote:

I looking for a jacket that will see me though the sh**** UK weather and to cover me for various types of riding from commuting to sportives to sunday club rides so needs to be a bit of a do it all.

I'm thinking of the Castelli Cape or the Rapha Rain Jacket but also the Rapha Classic Wind Jacket. My thinking with the wind jacket is that although not waterproof it will breath better than various rain jackets and be a bit more of an all round jacket.

Any thoughts?
    cheers

erm...yes

IME softshells are perfect for grey miserable drizzly days but for proper rain you need a proper waterproof as the softshells turn in to crisp packets when they re wet and don't keep out rain or cold
    - @ddraver
  • nibby
    I'm going with the windjacket until I can afford both :)

More versatile than a full on rain jacket for me.
  • ddraver
    Yep, and you have to ask how much you re really going to go out when it's proper raining too really...
    - @ddraver