What's the best way of cleaning waterbottles?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited July 2014 in Road general
After a bit of use with energy drinks etc my waterbottles end up manky and smelly. Rinsing them in cold water obviously isnt doing the job. What's the best way of keeping water bottles mank-free?
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Dishwasher?
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I use a few drops of UNSCENTED dish washing liquid with water in the bottle after every use.
    Shake well and make sure to force the solution through the spout.
    Rinse and let air dry.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    I give them a clean then soak them in the sink every now and again with sterilising tablets (meant for babies bottles).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You must be leaving them for days ?
    I just put mine in the dishwasher and they're as good as new.

My bottles last indefinitely.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Simple, use a bottle brush and very hot water (too hot to put hands in without rubber gloves)

Occasionally use denture sterilising tablets as per this blog http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/bl ... -easy.html, hence buying about 20 packs of Steradent when it was on offer at Aldi a couple of years ago....
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My bottles got rinsed in hot water on a daily basis then washed with soap and water when I do the dishes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    I just wash and rinse mine with the normal washing up ~ and every so often clean them with baby botle sterilising tabs, perhaps twice a year. Not even sure if that is really necesary.
  • I throw mine into the crowd when they are empty.
    Why would you want to reuse them?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wash them with hot water/fairy liquid just like anything else I would hand wash.

I squeeze soapy water through the nozzle, rinse, dry and then squeeze air through the nozzle to dry that out. I then take the lid back off and stand everything upside down at an angle to fully air dry.

Its a pain in the arse and I hate doing it. If I leave them unwashed for too long I stick them in milton overnight after washing.

I put some in the dish washer once (Camel Bak ones with jet valve) and am sure it made them leak.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Dishwasher!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If you've neglected them and there's residue that you can't reach and doesn't get dealt with by the above methods then throw a small handful of rice grains (uncooked obviously) in with some water and give it a good shake.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The same way as you would wash anything else. Of course that's assuming that you know how to operate hot water, fairy liquid and a washing up brush.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I can just imagine your house. My coffee mug is manky, cold water just doesn't clean it! Paper plates for all meals? :D
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Using Camel Bak 18oz. Podium bottles, throw them in the dishwasher after I ride each afternoon and dry them when I clear the washer each evening. Their own cleaning instructions recommend using the top rack of the washer, I've not had any issues with the jet valve not clearing or with leaking. Set is now closing in on 2 years old, I've a ton of others that are in the cupboard for the kids, or others, to use, as these work best for me. Looking in to buying a couple of their insulated Podium bottles now.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    don't just rinse them with cold water................
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    vimfuego wrote:
    don't just rinse them with cold water................

Yes if you put cold water in there's a risk of explosion.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    wife made me buy new ones after reading that cycling bottles are the worst for having feacal matter on them....never refuse buying new bike gear of course.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    boiling water from the kettle, pop the lid on with the spout open and shake upside down over the sink, water sprays out due to preasure differential & bottle is cleaned and sterile.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    zx6man wrote:
    wife made me buy new ones after reading that cycling bottles are the worst for having feacal matter on them....never refuse buying new bike gear of course.

Your confusing them with peanuts on the bar counter in pubs.

WTF are you doing with your cycling bottles you pervert?
    :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • zx6man
    she blames it on horses apparently

I use baby bottle brushes to clean off all the horse s$it obviously...
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    zx6man wrote:

You are using the bottles incorrectly. I have no idea what your method of hydration is, but it is very different from mine.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • zx6man
    tomhowells wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

You are using the bottles incorrectly. I have no idea what your method of hydration is, but it is very different from mine.

having bottle holders adds weight...
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    zx6man wrote:
    tomhowells wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

Brilliant!! :lol::lol:
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • zx6man wrote:
    tomhowells wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    a friend of mine got a nasty specific bug, that the consultant said had probably come from cow muck being splashed up onto his water bottle from a wet road and getting onto his mouth :?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    zx6man wrote:
    tomhowells wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

I hope for your sake your seat has a cutout...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    My team simply gives me new ones everytime I race.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    a friend of mine got a nasty specific bug, that the consultant said had probably come from cow muck being splashed up onto his water bottle from a wet road and getting onto his mouth :?

Nasty indeed. But presumably this happened while he was out on the ride, not in his kitchen taking a quick swig after failing to wash the bottles.

Mine go in the dishwasher if there's room, or failing that are washed up by hand with the water as hot as I can bear. On my last cycling holiday I used sterilising fluid, transported in a small screw-top bottle in a zip-loc bag. Due to packing in a hurry, I got home to find the leftover fluid had leaked and two T-shirts in the suitcase were now a different colour. At least I didn't get ill.

My biggest problem with the bottles is finding a way to remove the unsightly grey residue that results from contact with the cages. It seems to come off on my fingers easily enough in ordinary handling, but not during washing. :(
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    ManOfKent wrote:

Nasty indeed. But presumably this happened while he was out on the ride, not in his kitchen taking a quick swig after failing to wash the bottles.(

True indeed, guess I was thinking, make sure you wash them well after a wet ride in a dishwasher preferably or with washing up liquid, i've been guilty in the past of being in a rush and just throwing out old water and topping up without washing
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • AdrianStuart
    AdrianStuart Posts: 140
    What's the best way of keeping water bottles mank-free?
    The wife