Pedals Question

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited June 2014 in Road general
As usual, apolgies if this is a stupid question...

Ive been riding a road bike for about 18 months now and have had a Retul fit about half way through which made a big difference.

I have been using Specialized Touring shoes with mtb type SPD's (using shimano touring perdals - A520). I had the bike fit done using this det up.

I've recently (2 rides ago) changed to "proper" road shoes and Shimano R550 SPD-SL pedals.

The question is, do your feet sit slightly higher due to the change in pedals and do i therefore need to raise my saddle a little bit??

I have felt a little "cramped" on the two rides since changing, but have also just come back from a 4 day cycle trip on my hybrid which muight be creating this impression.

Any thoughts??

Comments

• ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Not a stupid question at all.

Most likely your feet will be slightly higher with the SPD-SLs. Whether the few mm difference matters is personal choice. My view (and personal experience) is that most people can adapt easily and aren't at the extremes of performance parameters where such small adjustments would have a big impact.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yes, raise your saddle a few MM.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    A few millimeters can be noticeable in terms of feel and comfort regardless of being at "the extremes of performance..." or not.

If you still have the old shoes, cleats and pedals you should be able to compare them side by side and get a feel for whether there's a big difference in stack height. Not easy to get a precise measurement since through the sole but it should give you a reasonable idea.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Great.

Cheers