Di2 issue

ryvickers
ryvickers Posts: 36
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Guys - looking for some advice. Was out on the bike today and for some reason I am unable to shift between the small and large chainring - basically the chain is sat on the large ring and unable to change. Rear mech has no issues.

Any thoughts? Im new to the Di2 world so leaning to the experts on this.

Comments

• Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Is the battery at full charge?
    If the battery is almost empty then the front mech stops working first as it has a bigger motor.
  • ryvickers
    Dave - thanks for the reply - Ive charged the battery overnight and still no joy this morning......... just want to explore possibilities before i bite the bullet and take it into the workshop. On inspection it looks as though there may have been a slight knock on the rear derailed unit... could this have an effect on the shifting?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    check the cable connections?
  • ryvickers
    checked those too - still no joy.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    I had this after adjusting stem. Turns out I crimped the Di2 cable like an idiot, so as someone else has said check cables and connections. Your bike should have come with a Di2 connection plastic tool for removing a connecting the cables, I'd check it at the derailleur end and the shifter end. If no joy at that point, I was going to switch the left and right shifters cables over, but to do that I was going to have to undo the bar tape. One thing you can check if you have the newer style internal battery charger is connect it up to your computer and see what components etube can see.
  • carlsaint
    carlsaint Posts: 60
    Check cable into shifter, cable into junction and cable into front mech. If these are fine and your battery charged then the motor in the mech could have gone. Only way to properly diagnose is to connect upto computer!
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    If the battery is almost empty then the front mech stops working first as it has a bigger motor.

Doesn't it leave you in the small ring, though?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:

Doesn't it leave you in the small ring, though?

Yes it does.

One way to check the shifter connection is to hold either lever in and see if it brings up the battery charge level light. If it does, then your problem is elsewhere. A connection issue is your most likely cause. Beyond that, it might be the FD itself.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I rode my battery to flat once and it left me in the big ring.

Also check battery holder for any water, if you have an external battery.

Your LBS should have a diagnostic unit. It's simple to do a fault check.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • meanredspider
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I rode my battery to flat once and it left me in the big ring.

Also check battery holder for any water, if you have an external battery.

Your LBS should have a diagnostic unit. It's simple to do a fault check.

I've flattened the battery on both of my Di2 bikes - both have shifted to the small ring and then stopped - I believe that's the designed behaviour.

I'd have thought water in the battery holder would kill everything. The seals are excellent in my experience - I've submerged mine (by accident) and ridden in apocalyptic weather and no issues in 3 years (4 cumulative if you count both bikes). That's not to say it can't happen.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    You should also have a junction box inside your bottom bracket.You have to take crank out to check this though.Bike shop had to replace mine on a new bike as it losing all power!!
  • meanredspider
    janwal wrote:
    You should also have a junction box inside your bottom bracket.You have to take crank out to check this though.Bike shop had to replace mine on a new bike as it losing all power!!

Only if it's internal wiring (can't see a reference to either) - else it sits under the frame.