Tyre advice for a newbie on pitted roads?

1trev27
1trev27 Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all,

New member here looking for some tyre advice. I've just purchased my first road bike, a Boardman Team Carbon. The local (in the wild west of Ireland) are very heavily pitted and full of loose chippings and the 23C tyres make it feel like I'm cycling on corrugated iron - whereas my Specialized Globe hybrid gives a much smoother ride (but the tires on this are 32c or more).

I'm 75KG and running the 23Cs at 90 psi. I've tried two 30 mile runs on these roads, the first at 110 psi and the second at 90. 90 is definitely an improvement but it's still very rough and I can't see the tyres lasting very long here.

So have been looking at the Conti 4 Seasons. They seem light enough, tough enough and should be good in our constantly wet climate. Was going to pull the trigger and order them off Amazon but noted that alot of people are saying that the 25c is more like 24 and 28c is around 26. Do you think I would get away with running the 28s on the team carbon or should the 25 give enough of a boost to comfort?

oh, current tyres are the standard Continental Ultrasport II 23c on Mavic CPX-22 rims.

Many thanks!!!

T

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Probably 25c will fit

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12911405
  • 1trev27
    1trev27 Posts: 4
    Excellent. Many thanks Moonbiker - found a set of 25s for a great price :D
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you take it to a decent bike shop they will be able to try on a few tyre sizes for you. As if you can get 28c on there that's what you should go for.
  • I run Schwalbe marathon's 28's on a boardman team comp. The difference is huge compared to the 24mm that it comes with (same as the carbon).

It takes it absolutely fine. Normally at about 90-100 psi it's very comfy.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Bigger and softer is better on bad roads alright.
    I was using 25mm Conti 4 Seasons for the past 18 months or so and found them pretty good. I'm about 86kg and was running them at 80-90psi at the front and 90-105psi at the back. They survived some dodgy irish roads including a few prime examples in the Wicklow mountains and Connemara (although to be fair most of the roads I've ridden in Connemara are pretty good!)
    However I've recently got a new bike which was supplied with 25mm Yksion Pro tyres. I haven't measured but they look a little wider than the Conti 4 seasons and are much more flexible. I've been running these a little softer too at about 70-85psi front and 85-95psi back. This gives a lovely ride. It's a different bike too so it's not comparing apples with apples but I think I might stick with racier tyres in future!
    The Michelin Pro 4 SC tyres in "25mm" size apparently come up between 27mm and 28mm in reality so they might be a good choice if they'll fit and you fancy something really comfy and aren't too worried about giving up a little durability.