Bike recommendation - lightweight and comfortable?

vortice
vortice Posts: 244
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
My folks have a place in Tenerife so I keep my old Ribble out there for when I get chance to visit. Most of the roads out there are fine, but some are in desperate need of repair, one of which I ride regularly. On these, the Ribble is harsh. I've changed all the contact points with little improvement.

So I'm thinking of changing the frame to something lighter which rides more smoothly over the rough surfaces. I'm looking at second hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for a smooth, assured frameset, preferably reasonably lightweight?

Cheers!

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Change to wider tyres and latex tubes instead.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 on the tyres, what wheels/tyres/tubes are you currently using? A set of Vittoria Open Paves with thin butyl or latex tubes will give a much nicer ride quality.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • vortice
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Change to wider tyres and latex tubes instead.

Yeah, done that. Latex tubes and 25mm GP4000s. Better but still harsh.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Scott CR1? Cannondale Synapse?

Anything that will take a 28mm tyre??
  • vortice
    drlodge wrote:
    +1 on the tyres, what wheels/tyres/tubes are you currently using? A set of Vittoria Open Paves with thin butyl or latex tubes will give a much nicer ride quality.

Hi,

Fulcrum 5s with latex tubes and 25mm GP4000s. Better but still harsh. I've tried several bars, double wrapped and tried several seat posts and saddles. I have a Canyon CF SLX at home and on similar roads it feels more composed and less harsh, but it's too much bike for me to keep in Tenerife when I'm only there 3 times a year and then sometimes only for a long weekend.
  • vortice
    keef66 wrote:

Cheers Keef. Are these renown for being smooth or is the recommendation based on that they accept 28mm rubber?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Vortice wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Cheers Keef. Are these renown for being smooth or is the recommendation based on that they accept 28mm rubber?

I have a CR1 fitted with 25mm GP4S tyres and it's a lot less harsh over broken tarmac than my alu bike on the same tyres / wheels. Not sure it would take 28's though.

The carbon Synapse has a similar reputation for comfort but again I'm unsure about max tyre size. Neither of these would be a cheap option though.

You considered a CX bike with properly fat tyres?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    What pressure do you run your tyres at, and how much do you weigh?

Will 27mm tyres fit?

I imagine that keef mentioned the CR1 and the Synapse because they are "comfortable" "endurace"/"sportive" bikes. Much like the Specialized rouabix etc. They probably will take 27mm tyres these days, but it is worth checking if you decide to buy one (although I think your issue can probably be solved with some nice wide soft tyres and running low-ish pressure).
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    The 2014 Synapse will clear 28mm tyres, easily.
  • vortice
    keef66 wrote:
    Vortice wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I have a CR1 fitted with 25mm GP4S tyres and it's a lot less harsh over broken tarmac than my alu bike on the same tyres / wheels. Not sure it would take 28's though.

The carbon Synapse has a similar reputation for comfort but again I'm unsure about max tyre size. Neither of these would be a cheap option though.

You considered a CX bike with properly fat tyres?

Thanks Keef. I'll look into those. I think a CX bike is out of the question because it's all about climbing in the Tenerife, so I'd prefer something lighter. 80% of the time the ride is fine, but there's a particularly rough downhill bit of road I frequent on the return leg of my favourite ride. I don't want to miss it out because it's epic but it is jarring!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Vortice wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Hi,

Fulcrum 5s with latex tubes and 25mm GP4000s. Better but still harsh.

Vittoria Open tyres with 320tpi will give a much nicer ride than the Conti GP4000S that are only 120tpi.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • vortice
    drlodge wrote:
    Vortice wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Hi,

Fulcrum 5s with latex tubes and 25mm GP4000s. Better but still harsh.

Vittoria Open tyres with 320tpi will give a much nicer ride than the Conti GP4000S that are only 120tpi.

Cheers Drlodge. I'll have a look at those.
  • vortice
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    What pressure do you run your tyres at, and how much do you weigh?

Will 27mm tyres fit?

I imagine that keef mentioned the CR1 and the Synapse because they are "comfortable" "endurace"/"sportive" bikes. Much like the Specialized rouabix etc. They probably will take 27mm tyres these days, but it is worth checking if you decide to buy one (although I think your issue can probably be solved with some nice wide soft tyres and running low-ish pressure).

Hi, I'm 78 kg and run 90 psi back and 85 psi front.