I'm officially an idiot!

andy_s_t
andy_s_t Posts: 106
edited June 2014 in Road general
I tried to get a few too many miles out of my chain and have managed to wear the cassette too much for a new chain. Only got myself to blame, but it's gonna cost me a few quid I didn't want to spend. I was intending the 12-30 to last the rest of the summer and then make the step back to an 11-28 as I am using the 30 less and less. Just going to have to MTFU and cope with the 28 a bit earlier than planned!

Going to hang onto the cassette though as I plan on a little experiment. Even though the cassette slips with a new chain, will it with a part worn chain? So if I feel the need for that extra two teeth on a ride later in the year will it be okay with the chain that'll have been running on the 11-28 for several hundred km? Hmmmmmmm. Anyone else tried this?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Last time I put a new chain on a well-worn cassette it jumped on a few gears for a week or three then stopped doing it once the new chain had a few miles in it. It did jump with a well-worn chain from one of the good bikes.

Winter bike, so less of a concern...

Are you basing your assumptions on what's actually happening, or on a chain stretch gauge?
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Same for me, worn cassette with new chain, jumped on a few gears for a week or two then settled down for another couple of thousand miles until that chain was also worn, then replaced both (actually I replaced the cassette on my best bike and moved that one to my winter bike). Reckon I got about 8000 miles out of the cassette which I don't think is too bad on a winter bike.
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    The chain and cassette have done just over 3000 miles. It's on my 'best bike' so I may commute on it for the rest of the week and start of next week, and if it's still slipping next tues, I'll swap the cassette for he tues night club run. It is only on a couple of cogs so I will see what it's like to put up with for a bit. Ordered a cassette and a couple of chains anyway as they are on special all the time at present. Can't harm to have a spare or two available.