Argos Bikes

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Who at Argos is responsible for writing their pitiful bike descriptions? They are so poor that they are hilarious!

The new Diamondback hardtrail trail frames have been specifically designed for the European trails. These bikes will take all the abuse from the toughest trail with Hydroformed tubing giving an ideal combination of high strength and low weight. They also feature a specific European design that comes in the shape of massive mud flaps and heel clearance at the rear and designated Crud catcher mounts on the downtube.

Argos should be ashamed of themselves! How is a European trail different from any other trail around the world, and what for the love of God is meant by "a specific European design that comes in the shape of massive mud flaps"???
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Same way we have 'bikes for British riding' from the big brands. Is daft.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited June 2014
    Well the Americans don't really ever ride in the mud, they have issues with trail access, so much of their riding is out of bounds in wet conditions, hence you'll rarely find things like Crud Catcher bosses on a US made frame. That said, it was a bit of a 90s thing anyway!

But yes, it's stupid.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With njee, mud in the US is not a big thing, so they tend to run less 'mud clearance' than Euro frames, although that said it is clear that no-one working at Argos on writing and listing bikes knows the first thing about them, last year they had a photo that was blatantly photoshopped and had bits missing as a result.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are plenty of other countries where they ride in muddy conditions (Russia, Asia, NZ etc).
    The best description I have read referred to a bike as a "sturdy black mans bike" Maybe a grammar error, maybe the bike is only suited to sturdy black men.
  • Possibly Rubez authors for argos?
  • Check out this bike description from ASDA, maybe they need sales tips from asda, if I didn't already own a bike I'd be almost tempted to get this bike purely off the merit of this sales pitch!

Description
    The Boss Stealth is back with avengance. With a fresh look for the season, the Stealth makes a return and is bolder and brasher than ever. The spec speaks for itself - 21 speed Shimano gearing, Front and rear Zoom branded alloy disc brakes and dual mudguards give you the kit needed to tackle any terrain, whilst front and rear suspension make for a comfortable ride and soak up the bumps.

The name says it all! Stealth black componentry with vibrant graphics gives the Stealth a cutting edge and is further enhanced by a full-colour saddle and oversized rim graphics. Deep section wheel rims, off-road MTB tyres and strong disc hubs make the wheels strong and sturdy whilst grippy 1.95" tyres will pull you through anything. The rear suspension unit can be adjusted to dial-in the required amount of suspension, whilst the front suspension fork remains in action at all times, poised and ready to take whatever is thrown at it. Stand out in the crowd, be understated but be bold. The Stealth has it all!

Suitable for inside leg measurement of 71cm - 81cm / 28-32".

Brave enough to stand out from the crowd? We thought so� That's the foundation of Boss! If you're looking for a bold MTB that will get you noticed then look no further. Boss puts design at the top of the list when it comes to designing a credible bike. With a young flare here at Boss, we start off with a credible design concept and then layer on top of this a strong & sturdy frame design, credible components & all the accessories needed for off-road riding. If you don't want to compromise on style anymore, Boss is the brand for you.
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    You can't mention it and not include a picture!

5017915140931?hei=800&wid=800&resmode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_GM

Now that's a European specific design. You can tell because of the massive flaps.
  • Qui3tman wrote:

5017915140931?hei=800&wid=800&resmode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_GM

Now that's a European specific design. You can tell because of the massive flaps.

Proper beast of a bike right their...
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • Nytol
    Nytol Posts: 11
    Qui3tman wrote:

I once knew a European girl with massive flaps :(
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Qui3tman wrote:

At least it has Bos forks. At that price level, I wouldn't expect anything less.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Qui3tman wrote:

Well, I was thinking of either a Kona Process 134 or a Mondraker Foxy... Mmm, but now I'm not so sure. Suddenly it's become a three horse race.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have tried of these, it rides like a magic carpet over rough terrain eating black runs for breakfast. Most of the pro's ride them now as the extreme bike weight means they grip the trails.

(All the above is untrue ;) )
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Qui3tman wrote:

Bloody hell. I just feel sorry for whoever buys this junk. The shops who sell it should be ashamed.
  • The Rookie
    Boss puts design at the top of the list when it comes to designing a credible bike.
    Well it's easy to see where they have put design (style) at the top of the list as it certainly isn't riding!

Not sure about the credible bike bit though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sports Direct are selling the exact same bike for 89.95 (though that might be pounds weight not sterling) but badged up as a Reebok. Obviously Boss have been busy licensing there awesome designs.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Badly written English is all over these days. BBC website springs to mind, but not alone. Even the Telegraph and Guardian have their errors.

I did see in a John Lewis catalogue details against a dustbin lorry calling it (from memory) a trash truck. Other catalogues list soccer goals instead of football goals. The list endless.
  • The Rookie
    stubs wrote:
    Sports Direct are selling the exact same bike for 89.95 (though that might be pounds weight not sterling) but badged up as a Reebok. Obviously Boss have been busy licensing there awesome designs.
    The same bike (different paint) is also available badged as Dunlop, Universal and British Eagle, and no doubt a few others.

Shame as when Reebok started out their first few bikes (remember the Element anyone) were actually more than OK compared to the competition at the time.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Nytol wrote:
    I once knew a European girl with massive flaps :(
    Qui3tman wrote:

:wink:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The picture does look like someone threw a collection of bike parts randomly onto the floor then photographed the result from above.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Check out this bike description from ASDA, maybe they need sales tips from asda, if I didn't already own a bike I'd be almost tempted to get this bike purely off the merit of this sales pitch!

Description
    The Boss Stealth is back with avengance. With a fresh look for the season, the Stealth makes a return and is bolder and brasher than ever. The spec speaks for itself - 21 speed Shimano gearing, Front and rear Zoom branded alloy disc brakes and dual mudguards give you the kit needed to tackle any terrain, whilst front and rear suspension make for a comfortable ride and soak up the bumps.

The name says it all! Stealth black componentry with vibrant graphics gives the Stealth a cutting edge and is further enhanced by a full-colour saddle and oversized rim graphics. Deep section wheel rims, off-road MTB tyres and strong disc hubs make the wheels strong and sturdy whilst grippy 1.95" tyres will pull you through anything. The rear suspension unit can be adjusted to dial-in the required amount of suspension, whilst the front suspension fork remains in action at all times, poised and ready to take whatever is thrown at it. Stand out in the crowd, be understated but be bold. The Stealth has it all!

Suitable for inside leg measurement of 71cm - 81cm / 28-32".

Brave enough to stand out from the crowd? We thought so� That's the foundation of Boss! If you're looking for a bold MTB that will get you noticed then look no further. Boss puts design at the top of the list when it comes to designing a credible bike. With a young flare here at Boss, we start off with a credible design concept and then layer on top of this a strong & sturdy frame design, credible components & all the accessories needed for off-road riding. If you don't want to compromise on style anymore, Boss is the brand for you.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg