Road shoes for wide feet

runny
runny Posts: 13
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
I bought some Specialized road shoes recently to go with my new pedals. I mostly commmute and do a few longer rides at weekends. The shoes have been fine, up until the weekend when I did a 48-mile sportive. I do have wide feet and I bought a size larger than normal. However at the end of the sportive they were caning and when I took my shoes off I was red and pinched at either side of the widest part of my feet. Obviously they'd swollen up as it was a hot day and a long intense ride.

Looking around on the whole road shoes seem to be quite narrow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited to say - I have SPD pedals.

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Get proper pedals. Look keo's and get some Sidi Mega's
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Shimano do a wide fitting in some of their shoes - e.g. RO88. I've heard Northwave do wider fittings too but whenever I have tried one they are still a bit tight.
  • swcr
    swcr Posts: 6
    I bought the Bont Riot earlier in the year and with their 'tub' front should accommodate the widest of feet. I don't have wide feet but know others who do and swear by these road shoes. Not cheap at about £100 a pair but worth every penny as you can mold them to the shape of your feet in the oven!

Cheers,

Nic
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Cheers, Stu
  • Bont
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I think you really need to try different brands as I have wide feet and shoes are a real pain, for me;

Northwave ~ Too Narrow
    Shimano Wide ~ Too Narrow
    Specialized ~ Soft side material with thin insole = Ok
    Bont Riot ~ Too Narrow
    Sidi Mega ~ Feels Ok, yet to take them out on a test ride
    Lake ~ Yet to find a selection to try on
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • il sole
    il sole Posts: 56
    swcr wrote:
    I bought the Bont Riot earlier in the year and with their 'tub' front should accommodate the widest of feet. I don't have wide feet but know others who do and swear by these road shoes. Not cheap at about £100 a pair but worth every penny as you can mold them to the shape of your feet in the oven!

Cheers,

Nic

+1 for the Bont Riot. I've got very wide feet and after struggling with some shimano shoes and SPD pedals, went out and bought Look keo carbon pedals and a pair of Bont Riots. 40 mins in the oven and they fit like a glove...most comfortable shoes I've ever had.
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've got really wide sort of square feet and have been through a lot over the years.

Some brands do run slightly wider than others (Lake, Northwave etc) but they're not especially wide. You want a proper wide version - and a wider sole rather than just high volume like some do.

I had Sidi Megas until recently - but on long rides I would get numbness because although they had more room they weren't much wider so my small toes were pushed on top of each other.

Got Bont Vaypors at the beginning of the year and they've been great. They're considerably wider (and actually foot shaped which is nice). A bit of fiddling with the heat moulding and they fit very well.

I am still thinking of some custom ones but these will do for now. I've heard good things about the new Shimano wide ones too but haven't tried any.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    These are really wide. SPD as well.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... rrency=GBP
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    You may have had them too tight. Easy mistake to make.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    il sole wrote:
    swcr wrote:

Cheers,

Nic

+1 for the Bont Riot. I've got very wide feet and after struggling with some shimano shoes and SPD pedals, went out and bought Look keo carbon pedals and a pair of Bont Riots. 40 mins in the oven and they fit like a glove...most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

I presume you don't have to be wearing them when they are in the oven?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've been using Shimano wide fit R087 shoes which are a couple of years old now and due for replacement.
    I have VERY wide feet (4E in running shoes) and nearly always have to go up a size or two even in wide fitting shoes. The Shimano were a size and half too big but still a littel narrow at first, however the sides distorted enough over time to make them pretty comfortable. I've done 200km cycles without any problems (at least not in the foot department!).
    As I mentioned these need replacing now. I'm planning to get some Bont Vaypor Plus in wide fit. Still debating what size to get. I've measured my feet and compared to their selector chart which says 41 wide if I remember correctly but I'm inclined to think that'll be too small. I've never fit into 41 shoes in my life! Normally 43, occasionally 42. Most people seem to think Bont should be bough a size larger so I think 42 is the safest guess?!
  • k-dog
    ^ I wore a 43mega in Sidi but had to get a 44.5W in Bont - I have a bit of space above my big toe but the other toes don't get crushed.
  • ai_1
    k-dog wrote:
    ^ I wore a 43mega in Sidi but had to get a 44.5W in Bont - I have a bit of space above my big toe but the other toes don't get crushed.
    Which Bonts did you get? I think they recently re-designed the shape of their toe boxes to provide more space - hope so!
  • k-dog
    I got regular Vaypors. I slightly wish I had got Vaypor+ - the ratchet slips sometimes and I would rather have the dial closure.

I think they are the same shape though - I got mine in December. My slight problem is that my 2 and 3 toes are long so they stick past my big toe - so any curve down the way from the big toe means I need a longer shoe. I'm really only about an 8.5 but really wide - but often get a 9.5 wide because of that.

My only slight problem with the Bonts is that because of that I could do with the cleat holes 5mm further back - I'm tempted to drill another set but haven't had the courage yet. Maybe better selling them and getting customs - but they're pretty expensive.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    k-dog wrote:
    My only slight problem with the Bonts is that because of that I could do with the cleat holes 5mm further back - I'm tempted to drill another set but haven't had the courage yet. Maybe better selling them and getting customs - but they're pretty expensive.

Get some Speedplays and I can fix that for you :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-alumi ... plate-kit/

Allows for up to an extra 14mm rearward positioning
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • k-dog
    Yeah, I've thought about that. I use axle extenders too and I understand you can get speed plays with longer axles which would be neater. Just not keen on buying 3 sets right now!
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    size 12 Wide plates I am using Specialized Comp Road shoes with Keo Classic pedals

only problem I have encountered is that the rear heel pads are starting to detach
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    k-dog if you know the length then there are a few people on Fleabay and other places that do the spindles in titanium, you just need the bearings then. They don't sell them off the bat with longer axles, you have to have the pleasure of buying those separately...

Understand your worry, I initially bought one pair and after a month personally got convinced it was the pedal system I wanted (after trying Look and Shimano), so ended up buying a set on here that needed a bit of TLC and rebuilt them. I was swapping between 2 bikes a few times a week
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ai_1
    brettjmcc wrote:
    k-dog if you know the length then there are a few people on Fleabay and other places that do the spindles in titanium, you just need the bearings then. They don't sell them off the bat with longer axles, you have to have the pleasure of buying those separately...

Understand your worry, I initially bought one pair and after a month personally got convinced it was the pedal system I wanted (after trying Look and Shimano), so ended up buying a set on here that needed a bit of TLC and rebuilt them. I was swapping between 2 bikes a few times a week
    Speedplays can be bought with long spindles but I doubt you'll find them in stock at an LBS. I ordered my zeros with longer than standard spindles (59mm IIRC) through an LBS in the USA when I was there a couple of years ago. They were normal price or very close to it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    hi there, I'm the OP from the 'other' wide foot road shoe thread, one of my local shops stocks Lakes and I have tried a pair which seemed to be OK. Feet were killing me at end of 40 miles today, partly due to my feet moving around in the shoe - I have very high arches - so may need a different footbed/insole thingy

It's just a hill. Get over it.