Parcel Force refusing to pay compensation

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited June 2014 in Road general
Looking for a bit of advice here…

I sold a bike via the Classifieds on here. I used the senditnow service which is Parcel Force. The bike was collected from my house and the Parcel Force tracking details back this up. On the day of delivery it became apparent that the deadline had been missed and the bike was still sitting in my local depot. I contacted the buyer to apologise and update and then contacted the depot.

The Depot staff could not locate the bike and spent the next 1-2 days trying to track it down. After a week had passed I opened a claim with Parcel Force. I also refunded the buyer via PayPal.

Parcel Force have now refused to pay the compensation for the bike as I can't physically prove the value of the item I had posted, despite me uploading photographs of the bike, a screenshot of the classified advertisement on here and the transaction via PayPal. I also paid extra for increased compensation to cover the value of the bike.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation?

My next step is getting in touch with Citizens Advice. As I've refunded the costs via PayPal they aren't unable to assist.
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    The chap you want to get hold of is Lawrence Palk, if you are on Linked In send him a message
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    If you have insured the parcel for a value, that's the money they should give you back... they have accepted the risk, you paid for it, I don't see the problem. Harass them until they pay
    left the forum March 2023
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Assuming you have taken out the extra cover - they have to pay you back.

They do however need to see evidence of the amount paid - in this case what the buyer paid via PayPal and the Shipping fee.

Keep harassing them- member of staff has probably nicked it.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    If you feel you've hit a brick wall this is your next step -

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

From what you've said, and the fact you have all the paperwork it sounds like you're onto a winner. You pay a fee, which also gets added to your claim - and any subsequent days off work to attend a hearing.

Most companies fold as soon as you start the process as their blood sucking legal team will screw them for much, much more money than it costs to settle.
  • deimosjohnny
    deimosjohnny Posts: 135
    Download the court forms or complete online but don't file, send them the copy give them 48 hours to respond. It costs you £75 (in Scotland must be similar in English Courts) to file the claim and a morning off work to attend the court.

It won't come to going to court as it will cost them a couple of hundred to get a solicitor to attend and they have no chance of winning.

The value of the goods was the amount paid by the buyer. If you have conversed with him via paypal or put the tracking reference on the paypal site all the better but If it is just the emails you have with their tracking number on that will be fine for the court.

Do not speak with them everything in writing via email or letter.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    ^^^this

don't forget to add all costs to the claim
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Write a short to the point email to the parcel force CEO and it will be dealt with rapidly.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Parcel Force have now refused to pay the compensation for the bike as I can't physically prove the value of the item I had posted, despite me uploading photographs of the bike, a screenshot of the classified advertisement on here and the transaction via PayPal. I also paid extra for increased compensation to cover the value of the bike. .

Lol - that justification would get them out of ever giving anyone compensation for anything. How can you prove the value of what was in the parcel - they lost it. :roll:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • skeff10
    skeff10 Posts: 93
    As long as you can copy all the paypal stuff. That is the value of the bike. You have proof of posting. I think you have to wait something like 10 days, then claim. Thats it.
  • jordan_217
    Thanks for the advice, especially colinthecop for posting that link; very helpful :)

It feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall when dealing with the claims dept. I've been made to feel that I've made up some imaginary value, raised the compensation to an arbitrary amount and then orchestrated the theft/loss of my bike from the depot to then make a fraudulent claim. I didn't lose the bloody thing!!

The buyer of the bike has also submitted a declaration form stating that he hasn't taken delivery and of the purchase price. Hats off to the buyer, he's been extremely patient and understanding.

I requested that this be escalated to a manager before they closed yesterday. We'll see what happens today….
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    What a bunch of R-soles! You couldn't have a clearer case. Do threaten opening a case with the small claims track. I've used it to get a deposit back from a flat rental and it works. It might be worth contacting their customer support department also. Let them know you are a member of a forum that has a busy classifieds section and you will certainly be warning people to avoid Parcelforce if they don't accept their responsibilities.

How dare they insinuate you are claiming fraudulently! They're the ones who lost the item you trusted them to deliver!!!

Good luck! You will win in the end.
  • jordan_217
    Update - not getting anywhere fast with the claims dept I contacted the receiving depot (where the bike was lost/stolen) and they kindly provided the telephone number of the MD's office at Milton Keynes.

Spoke to someone there who took the relevant info and promised to call back once they've investigated. As promised, I was called within 30 mins to say that the claim has now been moved along and there's no reason why the evidence and info I had provided seemed inadequate to process the claim.

The next step is for the receiving depot to confirm the item isn't there/has been lost and a cheque should be generated and with me in the next week or so. :)
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Thats good news, but ridiculous you had to go out of your way when you had already paid for cover.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Update - not getting anywhere fast with the claims dept I contacted the receiving depot (where the bike was lost/stolen) and they kindly provided the telephone number of the MD's office at Milton Keynes.

Spoke to someone there who took the relevant info and promised to call back once they've investigated. As promised, I was called within 30 mins to say that the claim has now been moved along and there's no reason why the evidence and info I had provided seemed inadequate to process the claim.

The next step is for the receiving depot to confirm the item isn't there/has been lost and a cheque should be generated and with me in the next week or so. :)

Great news, but do complain further. Someone needs a bollocking.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    Rolf F wrote:
    Lol - that justification would get them out of ever giving anyone compensation for anything. How can you prove the value of what was in the parcel - they lost it. :roll:
    They are disputing the value because the twunt that pinched it only managed to get £50 for it at the pub.
    Allegedly. :wink:

Glad it sounds like they are finally sorting it though, ridiculous lengths you have had to go to though. A complaint would indeed be in order.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Glad its getting somewhere. Somone needs the sack imo.
    No doubt the polish weekend worker had nicked off with the bike. :roll:
  • deimosjohnny
    deimosjohnny Posts: 135
    I am sure you are relieved it is now moving to a resolution.
  • If you have insured the parcel for a value, that's the money they should give you back... they have accepted the risk, you paid for it, I don't see the problem. Harass them until they pay

Onus of Proof applies here.

He may have insured it for £10,000 but he'll still need to prove it's worth that by proof of purchase, valuation from a bike shop etc etc.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The moral of the story is don't use Parcel Force. There are much cheaper and better services out there - use Martin's Money Tips to find the best for the type of goods you are sending.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1