Old KTM Road Bike

GregI
GregI Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey, guys. I am looking for a used road bike and I am mostly looking at cheap ones. In two days I'm going to try and possibly buy this KTM road bike. What do you think about it? I am going to ride a lot but I don't have the money to buy something new and good.

Is it terrible or can I use it without many troubles?

tZDWslj.jpg
*If you right click on the image and select view image it becomes larger so you can check the components better.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's one grade-up from a bike-shaped-object and is probably 30-40 years old, so if it's cheap fine. Cos it's old, don't believe it has any intrinsic value - the fact that the drop-outs are simply pressed steel shows that it is a low-quality frame.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    - the fact that the drop-outs are simply pressed steel shows that it is a low-quality frame.

We've been here before - this simply is not true (though it will be in this case). Chainrings appear to be riveted on (can't see clearly and the picture won't enloarge) so if they wear out the whole lot needs replacing - and one rivet seems to be missing. It's the sort of thing that is great if it is nearly free but if you have to spend money to buy it, might well cost the same again and then some to put into proper order. On the other hand, it could serve you well for years at next to no cost. But you have to budget for problems and it probably really needs a strip down and clean up.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • GregI
    Thanks for the comments. I guess I won't buy it and will go to a new road bike (with the new Shimano Claris they cost 5 times more here).

Can you tell me your opinion on this old Peugeot?

http://olx.bg/velosiped-pezho-posledna-tsena-i45123159

I am not looking at old bikes for reasons other than price.

http://olx.bg/sofiya-grad/?q=%D1%88%D0% ... 0%B5%D0%BD - This is my local "Craiglist"
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The paint doesn't look original - why do you think it is a KTM? There's nothing apparent in the pics..
  • GregI
    Well, the seller tells it's a KTM. I don't care about the name really, I just want a bike that I can ride 1000 km a month without going to a bike shop every few weeks.