Best use of £700

calbelfield
calbelfield Posts: 59
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

I'm 17 nearly 18, been riding for a couple of years and have dabbled with racing a little during that time. I'm looking to take things up a notch for next year, when I finally won't have to worry about the (slightly daft) junior gear restriction. I currently ride a 2014 Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0 (11sp ultegra, ksyrium elites), paid for with my earnings from work. I like to ride hard and fast, somewhat naively neglecting to do any easy riding at all. I like me and my bike to look good just on the off chance that an attractive female happens to take an interest.

With the background info out of the way, I'd like to ask for some help. I've saved up around £700, and want to try and find the best use for it. I don't want it to sound like I'm just buying something for the sake of it, but would like to get something which can help improve my cycling, yet can't have everything that I want so need to make choices.

I'd been thinking of either a power meter or a new set of wheels, even some new clothing/helmet, but would like to know if there's something that I'm missing which could be better for me.

Probably isn't easy going off one paragraph about me, but any help would be appreciated.

What can I buy?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    At 17 I would have said beer and hookers but if you must buy a bike........
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    You haven't really indicated what your goals are so it's slightly difficult to suggest what might meet those. If you are serious about racing it sounds like you have a pretty decent spec. bike already and I don't think upgrading something like the wheels for instance is going to make a huge difference.

The power meter sounds like a good idea if you're serious about training. I'm guessing for that price you will be going for a Stages. You will need some sort of data logger as well like a Garmin 800 if you haven't already got one so I would budget for that as well. Another alternative to consider might be to get a decent turbo trainer if you haven't already got one. They are really useful for a structured workout program especially when you can't get out on the road for one reason or another.
  • At 17 I would have said beer and hookers but if you must buy a bike........

Fortunately I'm not a big drinker nor do I want STD's, I find pain and suffering on the bike as more than enough fun :)
    hypster wrote:
    You haven't really indicated what your goals are so it's slightly difficult to suggest what might meet those. If you are serious about racing it sounds like you have a pretty decent spec. bike already and I don't think upgrading something like the wheels for instance is going to make a huge difference.

The power meter sounds like a good idea if you're serious about training. I'm guessing for that price you will be going for a Stages. You will need some sort of data logger as well like a Garmin 800 if you haven't already got one so I would budget for that as well.

If I had £700 burning a hole in my pocket right now that's what I'd buy.

Goals really are to get faster and a bit more serious. Already got an 800 so wouldn't need to sort that problem. Stages does look mighty good I must say. The only thing with the power meter is I don't want to become engrossed in numbers, looking down at my garmin rather than enjoying what I'm doing (not the easiest riding round north Manchester it must be said!)

Thank you though.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Cycling holiday somewhere nice?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I'd save it, if you really don't need anything.
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Turbo trainer? For poor weather or whilst watching footy :)
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Training camp in Majorca.
  • smoggysteve
    Flasher wrote:

Probably best idea. No need to spend for spending sake. IF you do get into racing its probably a good idea to have some cash in reserve in case something breaks. Racing can be brutal
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    At 17 I would have said beer and hookers but if you must buy a bike........

This. Definatly this. Your only young once.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • A trip to the Alps
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Flasher wrote:

Wise words....
  • opus25
    opus25 Posts: 36
    foggymike wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Wise words....

+1

Something will come along sooner or later. Maybe I'd buy a new set of bibs but that's about all. Stash the rest for a rainy day.
    Felt F3 Di2 (2013) : Moser Speed Sora (2012) : Cruising the roads of China
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I would add a vote for a trip away somewhere with big hills.

There are memories I cherish from being your age. None of them really involve buying the XYZ that I "had to have" to make me faster or whatever. Sure I can look back fondly at silly mistakes, like buying into campagnolo when they made their mountain bike groupset, but really the best memories are not about stuff; memories that have lasted are trips with friends, particularly into European big mountains.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Turbo trainer for winter, top notch tyres & save the rest for when you break something or for costs associated with races (transport etc). Power meter makes sense I guess but still quite pricey to buy.

One thing, if going to Uni later (when you will need money) - go to one with a decent cycling club - perhaps Loughborough? Not sure which would be best but worth thinking about. I went to Bangor in North Wales because I was into Mountain Biking - never regretted it once. Just a thought.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • smoggysteve
    As has been mentioned on these forums numerous times, don't race a bike you can't afford to lose. If you have savings it would at least help get something if you were to break it.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 for a cycling holiday - Majorca, the Alps, Gran Canaria etc.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thanks for all your input everyone.
    I've got a lot more money saved up in an ISA, so I do have that to fall back on. The idea of a cycling holiday does sound pretty good to me, I'll have a look into it. Obviously I'm limited with when I can go, only in school holidays, when does it generally start to get a bit too nippy in the alps if I was to go this year?