Clicking Noise

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I have two road bikes...Specialized running Shiman drive train and a Bianchi running Campagnolo. Both have a clicking noise, that appears to come from the rear wheel.
I have checked all bearings, cassette derailleur alignment etc. and can't see any obvious area where thi snoise comes from ...on both bikes.
One common thing between the two drive trains is that they both have a KMC reusable split link to aid chain removal and cleaning.
I fitted the links and both are chain specific and 10 speed to be compatible with the cassettes.
While on the internet I noticed somebody mentioned that these links need to be fitted a certain way, otherwise they can cause a clicking noise !

I thought the two parts of the link were mirror images of each other and could be fitted any way round.

Has anyone any experience of fitting these links in a specific manner and could this be the source of my mysterious clicking noise ??

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    When does the click occur e.g. with every crank revolution or every wheel revolution etc? If its either of these, it won't be the quick link! The chain will rotate every 2+ crank revolutions (assuming 108 links and 50 tooth chainring) more (than 3 revolutions) when on the inner chainring. That should help isolate where its coming from.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bianchibob
    Dam, thought I was onto something there, I think the clicking is every crank revolution...if so can't be quick link...never mind, will check out the 'frequency' this weekend (work away from home)
    Have noticed that if I pull 'up' the pedal the clicking noise goes away, only clicks when I push hard on the pedal 'downstroke'
    This phenomenon is on both bikes !!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Cleats?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I had a bit of clicking on the cranks yesterday, it went away after a while like it normally does. Could be a number of things, in my case reckon its some grit in the bearings. If I try and pedal with a really even pressure through the recolution it doesn't make the click, so it must be bearings I reckon. Could be cleats, pedal bearings, bottom bracket, chainring bolts or even something unrelated to what's going round.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bianchibob
    Thought it might be cleats, but although I have them on a fairly 'soft' setting the Specialized bike has Shimano MTB cleats and the Bianchi has Shimano SPD cleats.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Knees? I spent ages hunting for a click on my new bike before realizing it was my left knee!
  • bianchibob
    I know what you mean regarding clicking knees....however I have had both mine operated on and 'cleaned' out, as a consequence no more clicking or pain !
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Here's a good list of possible sources: http://vcrcbike.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/whats-that-creaking.html

For clicks, he first thing I check is if the front dérailleur cable touches the crank or your foot.