Bibshorts & jersey

richiegwy
richiegwy Posts: 171
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I want to buy a new good quality pair of shorts and jersey and have narrowed it down to the following;
Castelli free air
Castelli Velocissimo
Sportful Bodyfit pro / Grupetto
Sportful R&D
Castelli Speedsuit Velocissimo

I want something that is a good fit and comfortable for training, club rides, the odd race so that I don't have to wear my club gear all the time (which I do now).

Is the likes of the Free air or R&D kit worth the extra?
Is the speed suit a better option?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    i use the body paint ones and really like the progetto x2 pad, on the basis that the free air has the same pad i'd go for them rather than the velocissimo

shop around as there can big big differences in castelli pricing, especially where a previous year's range is being discounted

speedsuit - it's nice to not have the bib straps, but you'll need to go fast to do it justice :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    The Etxeondo Orhi bibs seem to be the most recommended at the moment, not sure about the jerseys but all of their gear seems good quality and a bit of a different name to be seen in! Merlin do some cracking deals.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Castelli Free Aero are my favourite shorts - the best by far that I have tried. Body paint are good too, but I dont like the strap on them as much and they are much more expensive.

Free aero are much better than Velocissimo - pad is 100x better and better positioned in the short.

I tried a San Remo speedsuit but they only work if you wear the same size top & bottom for a start and then for some reason the top of the speedsuits I tried seemed 3 sizes smaller than the bottom and 3 sizes smaller than any other Castelli tops I have. The body was so tight and thin that it showed everything you have but the big problem was that I couldnt get my arms in anything less than an XXXL and then it felt like the material around the shoulders was so stretched it might rip and my circulation was being cut off! Plus in an XXXL the shorts were too big.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    handful wrote:
    The Etxeondo Orhi bibs seem to be the most recommended at the moment, not sure about the jerseys but all of their gear seems good quality

For the price of Etxeondo, I should fookin hope so!!!!!!