Money to spend on upgrade - quality wheels or Di2?

mattfothers
mattfothers Posts: 11
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
If you had the money to spend on one upgrade what would it be? I'm thinking about either a quality set of wheels or a Di2 (Ultegra) set up, but which would give me the most performance, pleasure, value for money etc. Or do you have another idea for what should be considered a good upgrade (up to a grand). Bike is a Cervelo R3 and no hilarious comments about using the money to go for a better bike... thanks!

Comments

• eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    I have Di2, although nice if I was doing it again I'd spend the money on better wheels.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I guess it depends what wheels you already have?
  • Current wheels are Fulcrum Racing 3
  • Whilst I'm a huge fan/advocate of di2, there is only one answer here and that's wheels+tyres. Would be a much more noticeable upgrade over di2 and is easily swapped into other bikes..... Personally, I'd steer clear of Fulcrum purely due to the ridiculous rebuild costs if you happen to trash a wheel.
  • Whilst I'm a huge fan/advocate of di2, there is only one answer here and that's wheels+tyres. Would be a much more noticeable upgrade over di2 and is easily swapped into other bikes..... Personally, I'd steer clear of Fulcrum purely due to the ridiculous rebuild costs if you happen to trash a wheel.
    At the risk of opening up a can of worms, what wheels would you recommend?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Oh dear can of worms. what wheels will depend on your weight, how you ride, what type of events you do e.t.c. So many threads. All factory wheels have high rebuild costs it not just fulcrum.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • It's not a can of worms! It comes down to a few factors -rider style/weight/preference, budget, usual terrain, intended use and maintenance. £1000 can buy you some very good wheels, be it handbuilt with exotic hubs and high end alu rims or some decent hubs on some cheaper(but still very good) carbon rim options, or some very tidy factory offerings from various brands.

Like I said though, I can't really give proper advice without more info on the above, besdides wheels being the better option :)

re the post above - factory rebuilds vary wildly, Mavic are, imo, the best option for factory wheels from the service side of things.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Most comment on here seems to be off the opinion that the r3 looks best with shallower rims.in which case perhaps the dura ace 35 is a good choice if factory build is preferred. Another chap on here just picked up some reynolds assaults which are now 41mm rims but area full carbon clinchers. About the same price but he had said that the braking isn't great compared to alloy rims.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    It's not a can of worms! It comes down to a few factors -rider style/weight/preference, budget, usual terrain, intended use and maintenance. £1000 can buy you some very good wheels, be it handbuilt with exotic hubs and high end alu rims or some decent hubs on some cheaper(but still very good) carbon rim options, or some very tidy factory offerings from various brands.

Like I said though, I can't really give proper advice without more info on the above, besdides wheels being the better option :)

re the post above - factory rebuilds vary wildly, Mavic are, imo, the best option for factory wheels from the service side of things.

Not a can of worms then you list 10 variables to be considered in the selection process!!!???

For the cost of Ultegra Di2 the OP should look no further than a set of Dura Ace hubs built up with rims and spokes to suit his riding needs. Should leave him with a chunk of change to spend elsewhere.
  • skeff10
    skeff10 Posts: 93
    Wheels, wheels, wheels every time.