brake pads

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Brake pads are reaching the end of their life; are these much-praised swissstop pads at £25 level really worth the extra money over the £5 - £6 shimano or ashima pads in terms of performance and longevity?

Comments

• stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Having recently upgraded from standard Shimano D-A (RC55) pads to SwissStop FlashPro BXP (the blue ones) I can say yes, absolutely worth the extra. The extra braking power available is like stepping out of a 10 year old Transit and into a new Focus. Takes a couple of rides to adjust. I bought mine here: http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-brakes-and-pads/swissstop-flashpro-bxp-brake-blocks/10787978.html. Remember you get 2 sets of pads for your £24.
    The only down-side is I now need to buy some for my second bike.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Loads of people will tell you how Koolstop Salmon are the bee's knees and how their stopping is a bazillion times better. I didn't notice any difference over stock pads, personally (they both slow you down when you pull on the brake lever).
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    OK so thats one-all at half time. Maybe some pads are more dependant on the state of the rims? Is there really that much difference between 2 blocks of filled elastomer clamped down onto a moving metal rim, to justify the famous brand maintaining 5X the price level?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Big fan of Swissstop here. They work in all conditions, all year around.

They last well - the ones on my main bike were changed last year, now done 13105km of all-weather riding, including trips into big mountains and looking good for some way yet.

Last a long time, seem kind to rims, work in all conditions. For the sake of £25 for a complete set for something that certainly makes life a lot safer - easy calculation.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I use swissstop green on my open pro rims, they work a treat; they are slightly better than stock, but don't go expecting disc brake performance when it's wet.... Considering they last about 10,000 miles I don't see it as particularly bad value at £20 a pair (4xpads)