Wax Chain Lube

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Has anyone tried this?

I've got the Halfords version on the Madone at the moment and I swear the chain feels harder to use (brand new chain)

I've done the double coat and leave to dry thing... or did I do that wrong?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    I keep intending to make the move...
    I'll be interested to see your eventual thoughts!

I've been toying with getting this
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    wax = viscous = stiffer links?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The aim is that the wax keeps the actual lube inside the chain where it is needed.

I know a few people who swear by Squirt wax lube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drlodge
    The Rookie wrote:
    The aim is that the wax keeps the actual lube inside the chain where it is needed.

I know a few people who swear by Squirt wax lube.

The OP isn't questioning the effectiveness of the wax. IMO wax will act like a thick grease - assuming it gets into where the wear occurs it will be effective for longer, the downside being that more energy is lost betwee the teeth and the chain in order to displace the stuff (which is what the OP is experiencing).

On the other hand a thin oil (like Progold ProLink that I use) will easily wick into where its needed, but won't last as long, but then is quick and easy to reapply.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Kieran_Burns
    I can say it keeps the chain clean. I'm doing the Notts 100 mile sportive on Sunday and keeping it on for it, so I guess I'll see by the end.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Some waxes state they are good for up to 100 miles, worth keeping that in mind if you are doing it all in one day.

Edit. just checked my finish line wax and says up to 50 miles.. ceramic wax one says 120
  • drlodge
    I'm doing 160 miles on Sunday, better take some of my thin lube to apply every 50 miles or so then :roll:
    Find me on Strava
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    zx6man wrote:
    Some waxes state they are good for up to 100 miles, worth keeping that in mind if you are doing it all in one day.

Edit. just checked my finish line wax and says up to 50 miles.. ceramic wax one says 120

Surely not. Even for a commuting bike I'd be reapplying twice a week.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • zx6man
    Accrording to finish line website info. I commute around 50 a week and find using the dry lube doesn't last that..chain tends to get noisy. The finish line Wet lubes last me ages but get dirty quickly
  • Kieran_Burns
    Err.. Wow. So you can't complete a 100 mile ride without lubing the chain? Has anyone ever seen the service station on a pro race?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • drlodge
    Err.. Wow. So you can't complete a 100 mile ride without lubing the chain? Has anyone ever seen the service station on a pro race?

Yeh, they pretend to have a puncture so the bike can be swapped with one on the car, or perhaps the spare wheels having a nicely lubed cassette that will re-lube the chain :wink:
    Find me on Strava
  • zx6man
    drlodge wrote:

Yeh, they pretend to have a puncture so the bike can be swapped with one on the car, or perhaps the spare wheels having a nicely lubed cassette that will re-lube the chain :wink:

They lubricate the chain themselves on "comfort breaks" :-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Don't you guys have a lube drip set up? every 3 rotations of the chain it wipes it down and applies fresh lube ...

Huge advantage in the rain is that you don't get wheelsuckers because they slip over on the oil slick left behind you! :D
  • zx6man
    Slowbike wrote:
    Don't you guys have a lube drip set up? every 3 rotations of the chain it wipes it down and applies fresh lube ...

Huge advantage in the rain is that you don't get wheelsuckers because they slip over on the oil slick left behind you! :D

ooh a scottoiler for the pushbike, and james bond device all in one.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I use Muc-Off Dry Lube in summer and Wet Lube in winter. The Dry Lube is good but does need regular applications otherwise the chain gets very noisy. I do wonder if it is a bit draggy though.
    I've got some Muc-Off Ceramic lube, but I haven't used it yet. My current chain is too knackered to waste good lube on.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I do it properly, paraffin wax melted down in a tub with a healthy squirt of GT85 (helps it stick), drop the chain in for 15 minutes while I clean the bike.

The first chain clean has to be thorough (muc off, rinse, isopropyl, rinse, dry) but after that you just drop it in the hot wax.

At the moment it's lasting up to two weeks and I'm riding maybe 140 miles per week.

I can touch the chain without getting cyclists finger and CAT 5 tattoos are a thing of the past.

The down side is that one wet ride means you need to re do it so keep it for the "best" bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I put it on the fixie as (apparently) it is somewhat self cleaning and the point of the fixie is that I don't have to clean it regularly so I can just squirt the chain with the wax lube and all will be well...seems to be working ok so far but this is the first few days of use. Previous experience with wax lube suggests that it doesnt last at all in the wet...

On the Roadie/MTBs I use the MucOff stuff
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Ceramic lube for me all the way.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    by all accounts, sonic paraffin waxing is *the thing* - no boffin not for legs.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Phil woods oil nothing else comes close
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Ceramic wet/dry lube depending on conditions. Hate chain wax.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Initialised
    by all accounts, ultrasonic paraffin waxing is *the thing* - no boffin not for legs.

I haven't gone ultrasonic yet, but it's on my list of weird stuff to buy.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • zx6man
    Lidl had a cheapish ultrasonic cleaner on sale the other day..
  • Initialised
    I doubt I'd get my cassette in that let alone my rings, I'm after something a little bigger.
  • zx6man
    I doubt I'd get my cassette in that let alone my rings, I'm after something a little bigger.

20L I believe, would get it all in.