New frame and forks (to replace Allez F&F)

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
New frame and forks (to replace Allez F&F)

The desire to upgrade had set in :lol: no real need, just to keep things fresh (it looking tired), perhaps to add some comfort factor, but it needs some get up and go - I haven't got the cash yet, so its just seeing what is out there, and what may be worth saving up for.

My introduction to road biking (from MTB) was a bog standard 2011 Allez 16 - heavily discounted at Evans @ £380, a bargain, but I have spent loads on it... I have worn out and changed chainsets, wheels, bottom brackets, brakes, levers... essentially everything other than frame/fork/handlebars have been replaced, all the parts are of a decent spec RS80, Ultergra, 105, FSA finishing kit etc. All in it come to about 18lb for a 54cm frame, would love it to drop a few lbs.

I am looking for something that's good on the hills (I like climbing, nothing too flexy!) and fast going down them, it certainly does not need to be "aero", if it could have any form of comfort but with a minor weight penalty then I would consider it. I find the Allez gives a lot of road buzz and you certainly feel the road, in comparison I find its distant brother (Tricross) much more forgiving, but it does have bigger tyres!

My kind of riding is weekly 50-75 mile club rides, the occasional 100mile sportive, and always with hills where possible, not much to choose from where I live, but 2000ft is a start.

It does not have to be carbon! My thoughts are very good Alu, could/should compete with low end carbon?

Ones I have thought about:

Alu:
Kinesis Aithein
Allez Race + Tarmac Forks
CAAD 10
...then maybe some lesser known, cheaper Carbon F&F - willing to consider the online retailers, but really not sure what is good/bad out there, in terms for design, quality, performance. I have never owned or ridden carbon.

Budget would be about £500.

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    CAAD10 would tick your boxes, but new frames are rather expensive, and you'll need either a different chainset or a bb adaptor to use your current equipment. That said, it's a genuinely excellent bike in use. The Aethin and Canyon Ultimate Al are also very much in the same ballpark.
  • Thanks, just looked at the Canyon Ultimate Al - didn't know about it, impressive.
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    The reviews the canyons gets are superb and everyone who has one seems to love it