noise coming from crank (new bike)

xstrathyx
xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Hi ladies and gents

I am a total novice when it comes to setting up bikes. Long story short, i got a new road bike last week and have ridden it about 80 miles now. Beginning to hear a clicking noise that i believe is coming from the right pedal crank side of bike.

for the life of me i cannot fathom what it is though. I have tightened the screw around the crank, checked the seat post and even my cleats on my shoes as i my bike enthusiast friend told me to do. went out for a 10 mile ride tonight and noise was abundantly clear again.

would appreciate if someone might be so kind to offer advice. i know it doesnt matter what bike as i am sure they are universal, but for the record it is a cube peleton pro with shimano 105 components (i was advised to get this on my first road bike).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• As it is a brand new bike can you not take it back to the shop where you got it?
    Or was it on online purchase?
  • xstrathyx
    the bike has a free service at the end of July but i think i might end up taking it back for the service before then. it is properly annoying me as i am worried ive raxed the crank (which i doubt)
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Remove the pedal, clean and grease the threads (generous amount of grease). Attach to crank again and test!
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    the bike has a free service at the end of July but i think i might end up taking it back for the service before then. it is properly annoying me as i am worried ive raxed the crank (which i doubt)

A free service is to give it a once over and to re-adjust cables in case they stretched. This sounds like the crank has not been attached properly or has dirt inside it - I'd expect them to fix this ASAP and not affect your end of July service.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I have the same issue on my cube peloton race, with 105. Clicking at 3 points as I rotate the cranks. I have removed, greased and tightened everything, yet it still comes back. Doesnt happen in the wet though.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've just had a similar problem - pressure on the right hand pedal caused a click. Not a new bike, so down to me to fix. I changed the BB, tightened the crank bolts with no joy then swapped the pedal for another - that resolved the issue.

If it's a new bike and you've looked at the obvious (cable catching) then tbh I'd be taking it back to the shop and asking for their assistance. They should be happy enough to help and have far more experience in looking at creaks & groans than you will. I've never found an LBS that wasn't - providing you go in with the right attitude first!
  • xstrathyx
    Thank you for the advice. I removed the pedals, gave them a clean down and regreased. Went around the block and the clicking noise has gone. Thanks once again
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Excellent.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • xstrathyx
    IC. wrote:
    Remove the pedal, clean and grease the threads (generous amount of grease). Attach to crank again and test!
    In particular, thank you for this advice. Thankfully it was this simple on this occasion. Much appreciated