Tyre sizing problem

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I am a fan of GP4000s and run the 25mm whenever possible.

Problem is that on my new wheels they are too big and rub the frame a teeny bit.
I don't want to do to the 23mm unless I have to, they seem to have loads of space.

The wheels have quite wide rims, about 25mm so can you recommend an alternative good 25mm tyre that will come up a little smaller than the Conti's?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Something in the Vittoria range, Vittoria usually come a bit narrower than they claim... Rubino PRO or Pave' might be a good bet
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Where on the frame are the tyres rubbing? I'd want a couple of mm clearance so would probably move to the 23c Another option would be somethnig like Vittoria Pave 24c but they're a more fragile tyre. Michelin Pro4 Service Course are very similar in performance to the GP4000S but I don't know how their measurements compare.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Michelin Pro4 SC come up very big, I wouldn't bother trying if I were you.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • drlodge
    DiscoBoy wrote:

So Pro4 SC 23c might be good option then?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    drlodge wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

So Pro4 SC 23c might be good option then?

The 23s come up to 23.5-24mmm on my RS80s. The 25s come to 26.5-27.2mm.

As for height, the 25s are up to 4mm higher off the rim, which is what made them non-viable for me.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • littledove44
    The rub is on the top of the tyre. Width isn't the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I need to talk to my friendly LBS. They will let me fit tyres without buying them to see.

Just need to give them a short list.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    I've just got a pair of 25mm Ultrimo ZXs. My previous tyres were 23mm Ultrimo R1s. On the same rim (a Wheelsmoth Race23 which is relatively wide), the R1s measured just over 25mm wide, while the ZXs are exactly 25mm, not sure about height. Tyre sizes are just odd!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Conti Grand Prix 24mm? I get on well with them....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Veloflex Corsa 25c are a pretty true size (running them on 25mm wide rims).
    Cheers, Stu
  • In 23mm, I have found my new Michelin Pro4 SC are slimmer than the Conti GP4000s (claimed as 23mm). Somebody on here posted that GP4000s 23mm, we actually 24mm (thats what they used to be lablled as?)

Not sure how they compare in their 25mm versions.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    GP4000S run big so 23mm is close to 24mm and 25mm is close to 26mm. If you haven't got enough space to fit the 25mm then the 23mm version would be the logical choice? I don't see why you would rule them out other than "I don't do 23c"
  • drlodge
    GP4000S run big so 23mm is close to 24mm and 25mm is close to 26mm. If you haven't got enough space to fit the 25mm then the 23mm version would be the logical choice? I don't see why you would rule them out other than "I don't do 23c"

+1, was thinking this earlier (like I have nothing else in my life to think about than this thread)

Forget what the tyre is labelled. If a "25" tyre is too big (cos its actually a "26") and you want something about 2mm smaller then get the "23" (which is actually a "24"). Simples.
    Find me on Strava
  • littledove44
    The issue is clearly the rim.

Just put a Conti gp4000s Mark two on the rim and at 100psi it is 24.8 mm. Clearance looks to be around 2mm so may well be OK.

Will test ride tomorrow when the cassette is fitted.

Then I can post a picture of the new bike as it is finally completed.