If you owned a pro team...

ridgerider
ridgerider Posts: 2,851
edited June 2014 in Pro race
...would you put on some replica kit, borrow a bike, and hang around with them all summer?

I am worried that I might...
Half man, Half bike

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Ridgerider wrote:
    ...would you put on some replica kit, borrow a bike, and hang around with them all summer?

I am worried that I might...

I can't imagine any other reason to own a team.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    its not really replica kit tho - it is The kit...
    and yes.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Hell yeah! And forget replica and borrow... I'd get customised and personalised bike and kit!

I'd wear a helmet though
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    I'm waiting for Oleg to register himself and start riding pro races. Even if it's just for a prologue.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    So apart from his choice of sock colour, we really have no grounds for ridiculing the man...?

"See that big guy on a bike in Suisse? That's us that is."
    Half man, Half bike
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm waiting for Oleg to register himself and start riding pro races. Even if it's just for a prologue.

Battle of the owners and/or DS's. I'd watch that.

I'm sure if you made it a one week tour and got some sponsors involved you could get a reality show out of it (much like that 'The Race' thing on ES last year).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    Ridgerider wrote:
    So apart from his choice of sock colour, we really have no grounds for ridiculing the man...?

Yup.

I'd be more of a nerd then he was.

But then I'd commission films for fans that documented more or less everything.
  • would love a DS / owners all star team - Riis, Vaughters, Madiot, Ekimov. Konyshev, Heulot etc
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • sy1975
    sy1975 Posts: 95
    would design the kit
    Sunny Days - De Rosa - King RS Action Azzurro lumina
    Rain - Winter - Wilier - xp izoard "petacchi"
    Classic - 1999 De Rosa - Planet - Aluminio
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd hire riders I don't like and unleash my inner Manolo Saiz

I dig that Oleg doesn't wear a lid.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's smart, and likely authentic. Must be fun when you're winning, perhaps not so if it's not your year.

He should sign Wiggo, with the sole/joint mission of trolling Sky.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    For sure I'd do an Oleg.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Oleg was a registered rider with his Tinkoff Restaurants team in 2006.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    If you owned a pro team who would be the first name on your team roster (if money was no object)? Could be for any reason; success, passion, riding style, wit, team moral.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Yes. I'd also register a team with BC with the same name so I could race in the team colours (as I understand it UCI team registered riders aren't allowed to race in most domestic races, so I wouldn't register myself as a rider of that team, would be a waste of a team spot too).
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Milton50 wrote:
    If you owned a pro team who would be the first name on your team roster (if money was no object)? Could be for any reason; success, passion, riding style, wit, team moral.

For the reasons you list it could only be Wiggo! :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    Milton50 wrote:

Boonen.

Cancellara would be #2.

I'd then put out a google alerts for 'Boonen vs Cancellara" threads on bike radar.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'd get all the best riders from under 23s and see what we can make of them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's smart, and likely authentic. Must be fun when you're winning, perhaps not so if it's not your year.

He should sign Wiggo, with the sole/joint mission of trolling Sky.

Knowing how impossibly rubbish my team would end up, I'd be rocking up in someone else's kit, just for the giggles. Only wearing pro kit if you're part of a pro team doesn't come with small print specifying it has to be your own team, does it?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    hammerite wrote:
    Yes. I'd also register a team with BC with the same name so I could race in the team colours (as I understand it UCI team registered riders aren't allowed to race in most domestic races, so I wouldn't register myself as a rider of that team, would be a waste of a team spot too).
    Good luck with that :) the team is registered with the national federation first and foremost before being registered at a UCI level. UCI team riders can race at domestic level and often do, but it needs to be laid out at the start of the season as per UCI regs.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    JSCL wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    Good luck with that :) the team is registered with the national federation first and foremost before being registered at a UCI level. UCI team riders can race at domestic level and often do, but it needs to be laid out at the start of the season as per UCI regs.

Thought I'd read somewhere a couple of years ago World Tour teams riders couldn't ride most domestic races any more. Think it was Ben Swift or someone like that the article mentioned who was going to ride the Eddie Soens (or similar early season race). I may have misread the article or been mistaken though. I know Alex Dowsett has been seen at domestic races (not just TTs) last year, but they were TLI.

Anyway... what I meant was that I'd be nowhere good enough to race anything other than domestic races. So register a team with BC that hasn't got the same name, but maybe a very close alternative e.g. Tinkoff Saxo UK RT which just so happens to have practically the same kit. Then rock up to races in practically team kit with team bike.... Anyway, it'd never happen so we don't need to go into too much detail :lol:
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Too right I would I would maybe even make myself protected rider in an easy stage of a chipper once per year and make them lead me out!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Milton50 wrote:

Emma Pooley! :D
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Team kit/bike/eqpt and mechanic. I'd like a team of British riders who would be given a shot at glory - decent wages, training etc in the hope of finding more like Cavendish or the Yates Brothers. I'd try to get seasoned riders eg the Downing Bros involved and Robert Millar even if he only wanted to give advice via Skype. I might even have a spot for people on this forum to ride with us and get someone like FF to write a blog from inside the team just so you can all get a forum perspective (it wouldn't be a Bertie lovefest!). And I'd try for a womens team as well. Same kit/training facilities etc and I'd like British sponsors where possible eg Hope/USE.
    M.Rushton
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Ridgerider wrote:

Yup.

I'd be more of a nerd then he was.

But then I'd commission films for fans that documented more or less everything.
    And pay for your own image to he photoshopped into the peleton..... :oops:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Get yourself put in one of those bike cam videos so you can lead out a sprinter
    M.Rushton
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Milton50 wrote:

Cuddles fits the bill!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Milton50 wrote:

Cuddles fits the bill!

He would for sure. He has all of those attributes in abundance.

If I owned a pro team, as RichN95 said, I would try to focus on youth with a few big names.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Milton50 wrote:

The first person that pops into my head is Emma Pooley just because she is ace and little.
    Correlation is not causation.