Am I missing a trick?

hubz94
hubz94 Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I've just joined the forum having been lurking for a while (sorry :oops: ), and you guys have been really helpful so far. So instead of just leeching off your vast expanses of knowledge and experience, I thought I'd try to add some of my own (limited) experiences so people don't make the same mistakes I did.
Anyway, before I do that, I have one last shameless bit of brain-picking to do. I've had a 2005-ish Claud Butler Milano for a few years, so last year I thought I'd start to upgrade parts, such as fork (was steel, now carbon), bars (bought as flat, now drops) and a few other bits. All in all i reckon I'm in somewhere to the tune of £300 so far. So my question is...am I missing a trick by not cutting my losses and selling up to buy something a bit newer? I'd also mention the current frame size is 47cm BB to top tube, and I'm 5'10" ish, so its a little on the small side. Would I notice a difference in going to a larger frame?
Sorry for being a bit long-winded, but I'd be grateful for your opinions

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi,
    I would have put the money towards a new bike. £300 sounds a lot to have spent on that one but its all experience.

Guessing you like the bars that you have bought so consider putting those on a new bike if you do go down that route.
    The CB may not be worth selling now so maybe keep as winter/wet weather/turbo bike.

Can you do cycle to work scheme on a new one?

You should have a good idea of sizing now (based on current bike). Height is not everything.

Don't make the mistake of going too big.
    Do not rule out modifying a smaller frame rather than just buying a big bike.
    Stems get longer as bikes frames get bigger, so you might find the smaller frame (of two you will be considering) with a longer stem (i.e. the same size that would have been on the bigger bike) will be a better option.
    Make sure the seat is in the right position before you consider reach anyway.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I'd say a 47cm frame (BB to Top) sounds a little small for a 5'10" rider, but the top tube measurement would be more useful. It doesn't matter if the bike is comfortable though. Every rider is shaped differently.

£300 is a lot to invest in a bike of that age and initial value. Does that include the cost of the bike itself, or just the changes you have made? I think you will struggle to see a return of half of that if you sell it on. A friend of mine just bought a 2008 Milano for £100, for example

If the bike is comfortable and working correctly then don't feel you "should" sell it for newer. People ride bikes much older!
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd think about keeping that for a winter bike and save up for a new bike. Spending a lot on an older bike doesnt usually see returns on investment or performance.
  • hubz94
    hubz94 Posts: 3
    hmmm, thanks guys
    the bike was actually a hand-me-down from my dad when he upgraded, and I think he paid in the region of 600 for it about 7-8 years ago. Also, 300 is probably an over-estimate, its probably closer to 200, having looked at the receipts.
    In the end, I think I will sell up. I really like the look of the Planet X RT58 Alloy. Fantastic spec for the price, and pretty good comments all round