Which second wheelset?

hammamoto
hammamoto Posts: 24
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Dear all,
I currently have a set of 58mm carbon/alu clinchers, which I absolutely love. They have proven themselves to be bomb-proof, fast, stiff, true and - above all else - good looking ;-)
However, I'm looking to pick up a "second" wheelset for days when the weather is hideous or I don't want to ride my main wheelset. This could include rainy/windy days, or days where I am climbing a lot - 58mm wheels aren't the lightest of beasts.
I've narrowed my selection down to "two" wheelsets

1 - Campag zonda wheels (±£250 at Wiggle, 1550g)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... 5360518140

2 - Handbuilt wheels - 23mm H Plus Son Archetype rims with Novatec hubs (± £280 at Cycle Clinic)

http://thecycleclinic.eu/collections/ro ... -grey-rims

I realise that there are many build options (with various wheel builders) for the Handbuilts, but I don't want to compare apples and oranges. They need to cost around the same as the campags.

Any opinions? I'm aware the handbuilts will be wider (comfier?) and easier to fix/upgrade, but they seem to be rather heavier - depending on the exact specs. In the past, I had Campag Scirocco wheels which were absolutely great. Are the Zonda's similar in quality?

Any advice would be most welcome :-)

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Zondas are nice.

Fulcrum Quattro should be on your list at that budget too.

If you can find some Ksyrium Elites at under £300 (they do occasionally exist), they should be top of your list for your chosen usage.

Handbuilts can be whatever you want them to be but will always be built for reliability and rebuildability, rather than ultimate stiffness/weight. If you are a heavier chap, then something built specifically you may be your best option.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I just picked up some Zondas from Wiggle (250 less TopCashBack) and I think they're pretty good. As a second wheelset probably all you need. Seem pretty stiff and climb well (my previous Bracciannos seem relatively flexy by comparison).
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Heavier yes by a bit over 100g because the rims are wider (that add weight) and there are alot more spokes. I doubt you can honestly notice 100g in a wheelset though so please make your choice of wheels no matter what they are on other considerations other than overall weight. The archetype and the zonda rim will be a very similar weight and it rim/tyre/tube weight that people notice in a wheel not it's overall weight.

You have identified some other considerations . The ease of repair thing only is important if you need it, many don't ( for Campagnolo/fulcrum wheels) but some do. The lower spoke count of the Zonda's will likely make them a bit more aero that on upside not mentioned so far.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.