Frame size

Lefire
Lefire Posts: 89
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm 6'2" and think I should be on a 58" but when in a LBS recently was told to use a 56".
Did know if this was genuine or if it was that they didn't have any 58" in stock that day. (Small shop)

Any reason for having a smaller frame for my height ?

Comments

• More aggressive position, lighter wait
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Lefire wrote:
    I'm 6'2" and think I should be on a 58" but when in a LBS recently was told to use a 56".
    Did know if this was genuine or if it was that they didn't have any 58" in stock that day. (Small shop)

Any reason for having a smaller frame for my height ?

Compact frames are often preferred by pros who want a very aggressive position. Get a second opinion. Or use competitive cyclist calculator thingy. *insert link here*
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    A smaller frame allows for more 'drop' from the seat to the handlebars - if that is what you want. Smaller frame also gives more seatpost exposure, which can be more comfortable due to seatpost flex. The amount of 'reach' to the handle bars can be easily adjusted by changing the stem. It is all a balance of your physiology, and how you will be using the bike.

Be wary if the shop says that you need a few week 'break-in' period for your position on the bike to feel comfortable. That IS true about the bike saddle, but not about the overall bike sizing and fit.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • vecfluxx
    vecfluxx Posts: 79
    I'm 6'2" and ride either a 56 with a 110mm stem or a 54 with a 130mm stem, but i have long legs and short arms for my height, as you say for someone normally proportioned at our height its probably between a 56 and 58.

As mentioned the main point to consider is which frame allow you the bar height you need. If its fairly high it might not be achievable on the 56 or may require a mountain of spacers with doesn't look great, and maybe you can slam the stem on the 58. If its low it might only be achievable with a -17 stem on the 58 or not at all.

I prefer the feel of the smaller frame on my 54 and like the handling the 130mm stem provides, but its personal. Do you know which stem length you would need for each frame to achieve your fit? Also the difference in head tube length?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    vecfluxx wrote:
    I'm 6'2" and ride either a 56 with a 110mm stem or a 54 with a 130mm stem, but i have long legs and short arms for my height, as you say for someone normally proportioned at our height its probably between a 56 and 58.

As mentioned the main point to consider is which frame allow you the bar height you need. If its fairly high it might not be achievable on the 56 or may require a mountain of spacers with doesn't look great, and maybe you can slam the stem on the 58. If its low it might only be achievable with a -17 stem on the 58 or not at all.

I prefer the feel of the smaller frame on my 54 and like the handling the 130mm stem provides, but its personal. Do you know which stem length you would need for each frame to achieve your fit? Also the difference in head tube length?

I'm 5'8" with short legs and long torso. I ride a 54. To me, that sounds waaaay too small for a cloud dweller like you :wink:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    vecfluxx wrote:

How much drop do you have running on both of those bikes?

IME downsizing a frame for more drop ends badly for anyone but the most flexible or the most 'gorilla proportioned' (long arms, short legs) on a non-sportive frame.
  • Is this not a rather meaningless discussion unless you know what bike you are talking about, and your body proportions? I am 6ft2 and I ride a 61 Bianchi, but I have exceptionally long legs for my height (36" inside leg), and the Bianchi has a stack and reach similar to a 58 from some other makes.