What's the best pump

longster
longster Posts: 53
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi what's the best on bike pump lot of good reviews on the Lezyne Pressure Drive pump
Thanks Mark

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Define "best".
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The Lezyne Pressure drive and road drive both get consistently good reviews.
  • longster
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Define "best".
    1 fair, good, excellent, better, superior, above par, nice, fine, genuine, true, choice, select
  • ai_1
    longster wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Define "best".
    1 fair, good, excellent, better, superior, above par, nice, fine, genuine, true, choice, select
    Plonker

Good luck with helpful feedback after that.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Define "best".
    The one that pumps your tyres up for the least effort.
  • cO2
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    The one you actually have with you.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • longster
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Define "best".
    The one that pumps your tyres up for the least effort.
    You got it in one. I got a Blackburn air stick at the moment it's been good but after a flat on Friday I think it needs to go.
    Thanks Mark
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Chuck that airstick away. Awful things.

Leyzyne Road Drive is a decent pump. I've used one for a few years now (fortunately not very often though).

Only thing to be cautious with is that being a screw on hose, you can unscrew replaceable valve cores by accident (particularly continental inner tubes).
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Get one with a flexi hose. The direct-attach ones are hard to use in anger without damaging the valve, in my experience. Topeak mini-morph is a good compromise of lightness and actual ability to pump tyres to a true 100psi, also it doesn't screw onto the valve so no worries about valve core unscrewing. The other advantage of the flexi hose type is you can hold one end of the pump on the ground for the last few psi - makes a massive difference.
  • You can't go wrong with one of these. I've got an older version and its been faultless. You can get all the spares quite easily too!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can't go wrong with one of these. I've got an older version and its been faultless. You can get all the spares quite easily too!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... lsrc=aw.ds

Strap it to your top tube? Might get in the way of your knees ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Doh!

Assumed track pump! :oops:

I'll try again then. One of these . . . . .

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-micro-ro ... 5360450754

P.S. I dont work for Topeak BTW. Had a few of their pumps and found them good value for money and reliable.
  • ai_1
    Doh!

Assumed track pump! :oops:

I'll try again then. One of these . . . . .

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-micro-ro ... 5360450754

P.S. I dont work for Topeak BTW. Had a few of their pumps and found them good value for money and reliable.
    I've got that pump on my bike but I've had little cause to use it. It'll get me home in an emergency but I wouldn't like to try getting a tyre anywhere near 100psi with it. If I was getting one now I'd go with a Lezyne Road Drive or Pressure Drive
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump to get you to 80psi then top up with CO2. The pump will *just* fit inside a small Topeak aero wedge saddle bag too.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Joe Blow track pump that I keep in the garage. Almost effortless to get to 120psi.
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Joe Blow track pump that I keep in the garage. Almost effortless to get to 120psi.

^Nice one^

I use a small Lezyne road/pressure drive. Can't remember exactly which but I know it's the shortest, 100psi isn't that hard and it is tiny.
  • Dombo6 wrote:

I have one of these too- they are great.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Zefal hpx
  • ai_1
    So, given many people recommend the Lezyne Pressure Drive and Road Drive pumps: What are the pros and cons of each? I'm slightly confused as to what differentiates them in terms of functionality. They appear to both serve the same purpose. Why choose one over the other?
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    The older Road Drive CFH
    or the Pressure Drive CFH

best of both worlds... neat and tidy on the bike with the dual bottle mount too if you're happy with bike mount..
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Ai_1 wrote:
    The Lezyne Pressure drive and road drive both get consistently good reviews.

Personally wouldn't give the road drive a good review, (a) its quite expensive and (b) it constantly pulls out the inner core of the valve so all your hard work is undone in a flash. I have recently added a push on connector to it now and that works better, I only use it as an emergency back up as much prefer CO2 canisters.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    I've owned a lot of mini bike pumps over the years and when it comes to the crunch pumping a tyre to 100 psi using a mini pump is always a chore.
    The smallest Lezyne takes too much effort. The mini one is better but get the one with the Gauge.
    There's definitely an issue unscrewing the Lezyne hose from some valves. Make sure the valve tops are tight when you fit them (using a small shifting spanner) and you won't have any bother.
    The Lezyne Morph is probably the best of them all to use, but it's bigger and chunkier on the bike.
    The Topeak Morph is a good compromise between the two Lezynes.
    Edinburgh Bikes sell their own version of the Topeak Morph for £16.99 it's currently the one I use and like best and getting up to 100psi is fairly easy.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed