Sora and 10 speed freehub?

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a pair of Shimano 500's to use on a winter bike build which came with my Ribble (running 10 speed 105). Planning on buying a Sora groupset to bolt onto a new frame. Question is can I use the wheels as is or do I need a spacer of some sort?

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I have 9 speed Sora, and a new 500 rear wheel. It also had a new cassette (Tiagra) fitted when I had a service done.
    There was no listing of a spacer on the bill, which I was expecting, as I thought they were 10 speed compatible wheels/hubs.
    Hopefully this is some help
  • Camcycle1974
    Thanks Andy,

Will be a full Sora group going on so 9spd cassette. I think the 500's are 8/9/10 speed compatible, just not sure if I have to add/remove a spacer. How do you find Sora in general? Use 105 currently but finding it hard to justify the extra £100 given that it is for a winter/training bike. Don't like the look of Tiagra or would probably go for that.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Being my first road bike, I can't compare it to anything.
    As long as it's set up correctly, it works fine. When it needs some adjustment, the front can seem to drag a bit when changing.(Its a triple on a Synapse)
    Other than that, I've put in around 2800 miles in the year I've owned it, and only replaced a. chain and cassette (12-26). No broken mechs, snapped /frayed cables or broken shifters.
    I'd be happy enough to just keep replacing like for like parts, and only upgrade when I get a new bike
  • Camcycle1974
    Good to hear. My only negative experience of Sora was on my mate's Trek. The rear mech went into the spokes for some reason on a ride, might have been his fault though. trying to change chain rings whilst putting too much pressure through the cranks.